Default How to use oversoft fondant?

I made a batch of fondant that came out way too soft to use in the traditional manner, and I'm trying to figure out how to make use of it.

What about putting it into a plastic bag and cutting slits for the bees to get at it, as if for syrup? If I do that, do I cut slits just on the top of the bag, or on the top and the bottom?

Or putting it in a shallow plastic plate or tray and putting that across the top of the frames, so they can access the fondant from the top?

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,
    mainubeek

Default Re: How to use oversoft fondant?

Put it on a piece of wax paper.

I thought about that, but I'm afraid it's too runny. (Just tried it.) I think it needs a container with edges.

I would worry about it running down into the hive if it's that runny. I'd say to dump it in the trash and start over. I would place a new batch so the cluster can access it from the top of the frames. This is the main reason I make candy bricks to put on top of the frames.

How about mixing in granulated sugar until it is thick enough that you gan place it on a sheet of newspaper on the top bars in the Mountain Camp manner? The bees should take it with no problem and it will not run down between the frames.

Baggies will work. Frame feeders will work. The bottom board will work.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF