Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Spring Nuc Management: Any Advice?

Adam, my one nuc is a divided 10 frame deep that holds four frames on each side and has three deeps stacked up. They have 12 frames to run on at the moment and they still have that space filled with bees.
    I had planned to run divided deeps as nucs and then overwinter them on top of the main hives.
    The entrances are on oppposite sides of each other.
    I noticed that whenever I would inspect them they always spilled over into the other side. I ended up laying a rag over the opening of the inner cover on ther other side.
    If there were two booming nucs in a divided Deep, not sure if there would be problems with fighting.
    Maybe I was getting worried about nothing...
    I decided to make all 5 frame nucs from the Coates plans this winter.
    Then build them up into three stories and push them together for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    overwintered nucs. I get the sense that people are often surprised at how quickly these colonies take off, and if you're caught off guard, they will swarm
    Adam
    Its the fresh queen in the nuc that promotes the vigour. A small nuc can build right into the flow and produce as much as a full sized wintered colony.
    Just that the full sized hives act exactly the same way with fresh queens, and your able to take surplus strength from them to make up splits and send them into the flow to collect a large honey crop
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Its the fresh queen in the nuc that promotes the vigour...Just that the full sized hives act exactly the same way with fresh queens...
    Interesting. I will be interested to see what happens this spring.

Adam