Default Dead outs with moldy comb :(

So today was the first day in weeks that it was still and sunny and in at least the mid forties, I am a first year beekeeper and went in to the fall with ten hives but one was very, very weak and I have been expecting that one to die off. In my inspection I found two dead outs with lots of moldy comb. Can I spray the moldy comb with BT and somehow dry it out for reuse in the spring with healthy hives? I looked in the archives and found reference to bees cleaning up "less than desirable comb". I live in western oregon and am pretty sure we have no SHB but wax moth is around and messing things up.

Default Re: Dead outs with moldy comb :(

Sure, you can spray it with BT and take it from there. Bees can clean up quite a mess although I'd prefer that they do more productive work. Simply said, if you can stabilize your dead out equipment and then let a thriving colony of bees have at it in the spring, you should be fine.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

So am I "money ahead" to save it? Or get rid of the moldy comb? I have been under the impression that saving it was always better except if it had foul brood.

Simple mold and mildew...let the bees do the work. If you've lost your colony due to suspected disease, that's another story. The mold or mildew is an after effect. If you are pretty sure your colony went down due to weakness and starvation and not simply due to disease, then let your next colony clean up the hard work left from your former inhabitants. If in doubt though, be careful...with all equipment, not just comb.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Simple mold and mildew...let the bees do the work. If you've lost your colony due to suspected disease, that's another story. The mold or mildew is an after effect. If you are pretty sure your colony went down due to weakness and starvation and not simply due to disease, then let your next colony clean up the hard work left from your former inhabitants. If in doubt though, be careful...with all equipment, not just comb.
    I TOTALLY agree! Tuesday I can really inspect

Personally, I don't worry about wax moth at this time of year. I won't expect to see them until warm weather returns.