Thread: Indian summer?

Great Falls Montana

Default Indian summer?

Can you still say that without offending someone? All it originally meant was after the frosts; and the corn, squash and beans were harvested, it was time for the fall hunt during that lovely settled weather like we are having here now.
    Low seventies, no wind, real shocker here! and about three hours from dusk I decided it was time to get my boat wet. First time since I put it in the shop the day before my heart surgery. The bill for repairs was about what I paid for my first FIVE vehicles combined. Repairs necessitated by my penchant for rock climbing with a jet boat in the Missouri River above where steam boats stopped navigating for a reason. It ran so well it was nearly all worth it.

I got to my destination lake about dusk and cruised the length of it on a glass surface perturbed only by the remnant wakes of everyone else leaving the lake. All spring and early summer the bottom of my selected fishing spot had been paved with small walleyes. It no longer was. I managed to catch a couple jumbo perch and a nice ling/burbot. Their ugly is only overcome by their fine taste. That huge partial moon made things actually pretty light out. No bugs. The bats gave up shortly before full dark. As nice a day as I can remember.

Whitla Ab. Canada

Default Re: Indian summer?

[QUOTE=Vance G;1329944I managed to catch a couple jumbo perch and a nice ling/burbot. Their ugly is only overcome by their fine taste.[/QUOTE]
    I am surprised at how many people throw the Burbots they catch back or kill them and throw them away. It is definitely the best tasting fish around here but like you say it's just butt ugly. When we were kids and the South Saskatchewan river wasn't full of mercury we would hike the few miles to the river. We'd spend the day fishing and we ate many a shore lunch of fresh caught Burbot. There was always a pliers in our pack for skinning them, we'd slit behind the gills and pull the skin off like a sock. Once cleaned they were cut up and fried in butter over a camp fire, mixed with baked beans and devoured. Walleye/Sauger was good this way too but not as good as the Burbot.
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce