Thread: Indian summer?

Default Indian summer?

Can you still say that without offending someone? All it originally meant was after the frosts; and the corn, squash and beans were harvested, it was time for the fall hunt during that lovely settled weather like we are having here now.
    Low seventies, no wind, real shocker here! and about three hours from dusk I decided it was time to get my boat wet. First time since I put it in the shop the day before my heart surgery. The bill for repairs was about what I paid for my first FIVE vehicles combined. Repairs necessitated by my penchant for rock climbing with a jet boat in the Missouri River above where steam boats stopped navigating for a reason. It ran so well it was nearly all worth it.

I got to my destination lake about dusk and cruised the length of it on a glass surface perturbed only by the remnant wakes of everyone else leaving the lake. All spring and early summer the bottom of my selected fishing spot had been paved with small walleyes. It no longer was. I managed to catch a couple jumbo perch and a nice ling/burbot. Their ugly is only overcome by their fine taste. That huge partial moon made things actually pretty light out. No bugs. The bats gave up shortly before full dark. As nice a day as I can remember.

Default Re: Indian summer?

[QUOTE=Vance G;1329944I managed to catch a couple jumbo perch and a nice ling/burbot. Their ugly is only overcome by their fine taste.[/QUOTE]
    I am surprised at how many people throw the Burbots they catch back or kill them and throw them away. It is definitely the best tasting fish around here but like you say it's just butt ugly. When we were kids and the South Saskatchewan river wasn't full of mercury we would hike the few miles to the river. We'd spend the day fishing and we ate many a shore lunch of fresh caught Burbot. There was always a pliers in our pack for skinning them, we'd slit behind the gills and pull the skin off like a sock. Once cleaned they were cut up and fried in butter over a camp fire, mixed with baked beans and devoured. Walleye/Sauger was good this way too but not as good as the Burbot.
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

Speaking as one who IS! It is fine to say that. I do not subscribe to the politically correct thing. The world today is constantly looking for ways to call attention to themselves, over my lifetime I have see my people make a fuss over such trivial things. We want to be called OP's Original People today. then Native Americans, Although we have for millennium called ourselves the Lakota people, the rest of the world called us Sioux, and we were fine with that. Now all of a sudden we are to be offended to be called Sioux. I have always enjoyed being called Indian, because it reminds me how dumb the first white men that came to our land were. They did not even know where they were. I am not offended by Chief Wahoo mascot of the Cleveland Indians. The "caricature" was developed to honor a Native American member of the team. Nor am I offended by the Washington Red Skins, their logo or heritage. Come on people if we have become so small that we need to look for such petty things to call attention to ourselves than what worth have we!

I loved your story. It was well told and brought me back to a time when I could steel a few hours to enjoy the day, the world and life as a whole!
    And I am proud to have such a special time of year and life named for my people! Carry On!

As one who does subscribe to being politically correct (also known as just plain courtesy), the reason why most phrases using "Indian" are offensive is because they ascribe negative things to Native people. Like Indian giver - one who gives and takes back. Indian summer is not a negative reference, but recognizes that the native people were attuned to and used this special time to prepare for winter.

What tribe are you a member of?

Quote Originally Posted by ritan1 View Post
    As one who does subscribe to being politically correct (also known as just plain courtesy), the reason why most phrases using "Indian" are offensive is because they ascribe negative things to Native people.
    You are disparaging 'plain courtesy' by equating it to political correctness!
    As for the rest of the post........

I do not identify as any tribe; that connection was broken long before I was born. My grandmother was Cherokee (isn't everyone!?), but was part of the movement in the late 1800s to move Indian children from the tribes to be raised by in special schools and be raised by white families, so we no longer have a tribal affiliation. I understand from oral family history that it was Keetowa (sp?). She was raised by an Irish family. She married my grandfather, a black man, and my mother married a black man (with Chinese ancestry). I identify as black or African-American.
    Last edited by ritan1; 01-30-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Let me get this straight. You are on no tribal registry, and have but a dubious "Native American" ancestry. And feel you have a right to tell me. (Who was born on the Pine Ridge reservation), What is acceptable and courteous about the word Indian? That is sort of like telling me I have to live somewhere and eat what you provide me because you know what is best for me!
    The term Indian giver was brought about by Indians, who were given land only to have it taken back from them, Yes it does denote a shameful act. but not derogatory to Indians as they were the recipients. In order to be an True Indian giver you have to give to an Indian! Of course today the term is Native American giver because apparently I am the only remaining Indian!

Tenbears you should give lessons in history .