Default first problem i have had with warré

hey every one , i have just started my first warré hive and everything thing has been going great , except due to the fact that my frames are top bar only and have no side bars to the frames the comb is being attatched to the side of the box, ( in future i think i will build with a side bar to the frames to stop this) so far this has been fine as i just loosen it with my hive tool, but being a learner (!) i didnt loosen one properly and 2/3rds of the comb has dropped off to the bottom of the box. if it was just honey comb id take it out but it has brood in it. what should i do ? take it out and let them start again? leave it and will they continue to look after the brood in the fallen comb? lets us know what u thnk !!

Default Re: first problem i have had with warré

Just remove the damaged comb and let them rebuild. It is a minor set back for them unless, or course, the Queen was on the comb that dropped.

It is very unlikely, they will care for the brood in the dropped comb unless it is very near the nest. And, then they would try to connect it to the nest and make a mess of cross comb. Just take it out.

Fallen comb can be attached to TB's by wrapping with thin cotton string, they will secure it and discard string, hair clips also work.

I read Warre's book. Sound like you just let them attach it, and if you have bars in every box, then you'd simply break off the top box when harvesting. Or you can slice it off with a thin wire thru the gap-but careful about killing bees...I'm not totally finished with the book yet. Sounds very sensible. The goal is not to open the hives. Just let em run and stay ahead of it by adding at the bottom. For what reason do you want to slice off comb from the walls? Just leave it.