Default New beekeeper from Kentucky

Hello all! I am a new beekeeper, started April 2012, from Pendleton County, Kentucky. I started my first hive in April from a wild swarm we collected from one of my husband's coworker's tree. They quickly filled up their 2 deeps and we added 2 medium supers, which they filled with 62 pounds of honey in two months. So far they seem to be thriving (knock on wood!).

I have wanted to get in to beekeeping for quite some time, as my grandfather and great uncle were beekeepers and I have fond memories of their beekeeping stories as well as eating jars of honey and chewing the comb. Last spring we got our 20 acre farm and moved from a subdivision, allowing me the opportunity to pursue the dream.

I have already purchased two more hives to get assembled and ready to go for spring, and may purchase a few more before spring arrives. I am hoping to read up on making split, as I really want to keep this line of bees going. They seem to be extremely gentle, seem to be good honey producers, and came from a local wild hive that had been there for at least 10 years.

I'm also the mom to a very, very active and entertaining 3 y/o little boy. When I'm not chasing him or dreaming of more hives, I enjoy photographing nature and especially my bees.

Default Re: New beekeeper from Kentucky

Welcome Stacie!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome

Welcome to the forum, Stacie. I'm glad you have been able to get a patch of land and pursue your dream of beekeeping. Sounds like it might be a 'family tradition'.

I look forward to seeing some of your photos!
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

Welcome! I look forward to learning from your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by StacieM View Post
    Hello all! I am a new beekeeper, started April 2012, from Pendleton County, Kentucky. I started my first hive in April from a wild swarm we collected from one of my husband's coworker's tree. They quickly filled up their 2 deeps and we added 2 medium supers, which they filled with 62 pounds of honey in two months. So far they seem to be thriving (knock on wood!).

I have wanted to get in to beekeeping for quite some time, as my grandfather and great uncle were beekeepers and I have fond memories of their beekeeping stories as well as eating jars of honey and chewing the comb. Last spring we got our 20 acre farm and moved from a subdivision, allowing me the opportunity to pursue the dream.

I have already purchased two more hives to get assembled and ready to go for spring, and may purchase a few more before spring arrives. I am hoping to read up on making split, as I really want to keep this line of bees going. They seem to be extremely gentle, seem to be good honey producers, and came from a local wild hive that had been there for at least 10 years.

I'm also the mom to a very, very active and entertaining 3 y/o little boy. When I'm not chasing him or dreaming of more hives, I enjoy photographing nature and especially my bees.
    Warning: With a three year old or not realize that if your hobby becomes too large and time consuming it can change from an enjoyable experience to more like work and no longer be so much fun. Be sure to have at least two or three hives incase you loose a queen and need to take a frame with new born eggs on it and place it in the queenless hive if the bees have been unable to feed royal jelly to one of the eggs laid by the dead queen so they can raise another queen for their hive. Much can be learned from just googling about bees etc. on the internet.

From Lexington, ky here. Stating my first hive in April