Default Florida Beekeeping rehabilitation program Lowell

North Florida correctional institutions have been incorporating beekeeping for over a year now. The video is from the women's facility at Lowell.
    http://thefloridachannel.org/video/c...dy-beekeepers/
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Florida Beekeeping rehabilitation program Lowell

May be a good program, but, the State of Florida should be severely chastised, for allowing inmates to work bees with no veils. Sooner or later they will pay for this lack of judgement.

cchoganjr

The Apiary Chief and I already counseled the inspectors involved. There are veils for the inmates and I personally asked them to wear veils that day. It is obvious they wanted to be on camera.
    americasbeekeeper.com

AmericasBeekeeper..... Thank You. Can't make someone wear a veil, but I sure hate to see individuals being taught a bad habit.

I know it is so easy to just say, "I don't need a veil", but, I absolutely recommend, always wearing one.

Yes, they are enthusiastic about the bees. I certainly support a program like this. Wish we had more programs like this one.

Thank You.... Good Job.

cchoganjr

I'm with Cleo on this one. First thing I noticed was: no veil!!!!! Not a good example at all. The men had protection. Do I see something here beyond the veil?

Other than that, great story!
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

The archive footage of male inmates is from RMC. There are veils, gloves, and bee suits available at every bee training.
    Even inmates have some freedom of choice. Are you implying otherwise Bevy?
    Many beekeepers in Florida and around the world work bees without veils, gloves or suits by choice. It should be a choice based on experience and inmate training includes many in the hive lessons. Non-beekeepers would say it is foolish to work bees at all. Perhaps knowledge of bee behavior would allow one to make better informed opinionated choices. They will look up at you from the comb and bounce off you before they go in for the kill (their own death that is).
    americasbeekeeper.com

This is really cool. I don't know if all of them will be able to get a job working for a big beekeeper or not. Are there that many beekeeping jobs in florida available? Excuse my ignoriance. Weather they can get a job directly with a beek of not, it gives them something to go for. Try to start a hive with the money from another job and try to grow, or something similar.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    They will look up at you from the comb and bounce off you before they go in for the kill (their own death that is).
    I agree with choice, but, they do not always give warning.

Everyone should keep that in mind, and weigh the proposition, do I really want to take the chance, and take the consequences. If so O.K. I prefer not to teach new beekeepers to go without basic eye, ear, nose, throat, protection, until they are familiar enough to make an informed decision. But, it is their decision. And I will respect that.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    The archive footage of male inmates is from RMC. There are veils, gloves, and bee suits available at every bee training.
    Even inmates have some freedom of choice. Are you implying otherwise Bevy?
    No no, I do not mean that the women weren't given the choice to wear protection...that's more my point than anything. I see a story about incarcerated women who have possibly not learned to protect themselves. Boundaries. I carried it into the choices they will be making when they get out, back into a society and environment where they will need to protect themselves. I suspect that many of them were not taught on the outside how to protect themselves. My wish is that somehow that will happen, and if it begins with bees, is that such a bad thing? I watched a story about women who are learning a better way of living. I'm not going to apologize for being concerned that they made a choice to not protect themselves only because I'm looking at something more than beekeeping.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF