Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Hello everyone, just a few questions for you all.

>I'm lost, I see that some deep bodies have 5 different sizes to them. What are the different sizes for? There is a 9 5/8" a 7 5/8" and down to a 5 5/8". What does this mean?

This is the depth (the measurment vertically). The original Langstroth was 9 5/8". Since they were too heavy to lift full of honey, he make supers that were shallow (5 3/4"). Since it took a lot of uncapping Dadant came up with a medium (6 5/8"). For comb honey someone came up with cutting a standard 9 5/8" in half which makes two 4 3/4" (you lose the saw kerf) boxes and these are Extra shallows. Someone thought that having all the same size boxes was nice, but decided that the mediums were just a little small and came up with the 7 5/8" box. Dadant decided that a 9 5/8" box was too shallow for the queen to have enough room in one box so he came up with the 11 5/8" box with 12 frames in it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes

I run all eight frame mediums and would highly recommend it. Having all the same size frame is a Godsend. Having boxes you can lift when they are full of honey is also. Being able to manage "by the box" is a huge time saver as well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    As far as the depth is concerned, a deep is always 9 5/8".
    Just a note here so we always remember to follow the rule of always avoiding and never using the words never and always.

Deeps are not always 9 5/8". It depends on the manufacturer, and whether you have top or bottom bee space. For instance, the boxes people buy from Kelly Bee Company are listed as 9 9/16. Some make their boxes 9 7/8".

My post is all in fun, not to start an argument. This is what I thought ImaNewBeeToThis meant when he posted that there are three sizes of deeps. If so, yes, there are at least 3, maybe more in common use.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 01-09-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Just a note here so we always remember to follow the rule of always avoiding and never using the words never and always.
    Very good advise Cleo! I should have known better. (Actually, it was just a test to see if you were on the ball! .
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Just having a little fun. Sometimes people are too serious.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    That may be true in the context of this discussion, but that is not the only use for them .
    I thought about that aw I wrote that. And you are actually right. but given that the OP is still a bit confused over hive sized I though it best to keep it simple for now.

What Ralph is referring to is that nucs have many uses. You can discover some of those uses as your beekeeping experience progresses.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNewBeeToThis View Post
    Yes I was wondering when I should order bees. I have walter Kelly co about hour and half from me. Dadant co about 30 min from me. So I'm glad two good companies are with in a drive for me. Now for bees I'm looking to get a nuc as all my research shows the best way to go. Ill order them here in the next week. I'm really hooked on the Russian queen or maybe a hybrid from Walter Kelly.
    Ill be purchasing all my equipment in February on the first Saturday as its the only day they are open. I think I'll be going with two hives so things could get expensive as I like the best equipment when ever I decide to dive into something. I have an odd feeling I'm going to be good at this and enjoy it a lot .
    Any thought on this?

I know it must be confusing for a beginner, Mr Bush gives a good synopsis in post #41. Let's be clear as there was some conflicting information earlier in this thread. A medium (or Illinois) is a 6 5/8" box, the 5 5/8" is commonly referred to as a shallow. I am not sure the industry has ever settled on a name for the 7 5/8" size.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Don't make it to simple. remember that:

A Deep (9 5/8) holds frames that are 9 1/8" and the frames hold foundation that is 8 3/8"
    A medium (6 5/8) holds frames that are 6 1/4" and the frames hold foundation that is 5 5/8"
    A shallow (5 11/16) holds frames that are 5 3/8" and the frmes hold foundation that is 4 3/4"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123