Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How do I get a mouse out of my hive?

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  jdmidwest 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have a little, maybe big, problem in one of my hives here. I just replaced the screened bottom board with a solid bottom board, and in the process I noticed a hole chewed in the (plastic) screen and mouse droppings on the floor. Hmm, I thought, because I had an entrance reducer, but obviously that didn't keep the mouse out. There were no nesting materials on the floor of the hive, so I figured it just came for a visit. Well, I came back to this;

Stain Paper

Obviously not just a visit, and I'm sure the mouse is setting up residence there. I would close of the hole, but I don't want to shut it in there. What should I do? Put poison outside the hive? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#7 ·
Ben: As in most all things beekeeping, the hive tool is an effective weapon in the never ending battle against mice. Work out the details on your own and think of it as a sort of "right of passage" on your journey to becoming a full fledged beekeeper. ;) If you succeed a notch on your hive tool would be appropriate.

#12 · (Edited)
I suggest borrowing the book "Rats" by Robert Sullivan from the library. It is a non-fiction book about rats. You might get some ideas on how to temp the mouse out of your hive. I read that book many years ago and it has never left me. One thing the author said was, no matter where you are in New York City you are only five feet from a rat. I also read that a rat can collapse his body to the size of his skull. You hear plenty about mice getting in hives but not rats.

#13 ·
They can't collapse their body down that far... at least not all of them. I had to dispatch one with his head sticking out a hole in a wall at work.... I honestly tried to save him as I opened the wall on the inside and tried pulling him back through, but in the end I had to dispatch him and his head still popped off pulling him out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.