Hybrid View

Default New Beekeeper, Why do I have lots and lots of dead bees in the snow???

Hi Everyone; New to beekeeping this past summer. This is my first winter and I am noticing more and more dead bees.......... LOTS OF DEAD BEES I should be saying. I can see if they are cleaning out the drones, etc. but I have about 2 to 3 plus cups of bees in a pile outside the front door of each hive. I must say it has been interesting start...... 6 colonies in the spring. 2 swarms that I know of and had a great time setting them back up in their own new colonies. Had to consolitate some prior to winter just because one swarm was in September and where we are winter comes early. Thank god for utube and Beesource.com/forums for the education. But really don't know much about all the dead bees. I feed them lots of 2:1 sugar water for about a month and then a candy board on each before I wrapped them in the winter cozys. Yes they have ventilation on the top. New Brunswick Canada.... North/East of Maine is where I am located. Weather today is nice at 15 F. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Happy holidays from Atlantic Canada. Richard.

Default Re: New Beekeeper, Why do I have lots and lots of dead bees in the snow???

Welcome Richard! You see the bees because their dark bodies contrast well with the snow. They are always there. You just see them better now.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: New Beekeeper, Why do I have lots and lots of dead bees in the snow???

Dead bees in the snow are an indication that the colony is alive and hauling out the dead...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Welcome to the site! You have a pretty strong front headed at you tonight. Blasted through South Carolina last night. Temps were thankfully no where near freezing. Good luck with the bees.

Mites are a big problem in the New Brunswick,Hope that you treated them before you wraped them up

Thank you to all your words of encouragement.