Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink 3Things that make a lone beekeepers life easyer

A voice recorder so i can remember what i just saw in my 13 hives and write it down.

Fold up tables at SAms club. are great to take to the bee yards and work on they even have a handle to carrie with.

3X reading glasses so i can see the eggs in the cells.

All great things for a lone beekeeper and make beekeeping that much more fun.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: 3Things that make a lone beekeepers life easyer

I have been wanting to get a digital voice recorder for a while now. My short term memory is pretty bad , so I thought that it would be a good tool to have when working the hives. What was I talking about again.

excellent suggestions!

i couldn't do it without good glasses.

the voice recorder and the journals i produced from it have been invaluable.

i have been going through these journals, and have figured out some of the dumb mistakes that i made last year. (won't be repeating those!)
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

smart phones work also
    Im really not that serious

How close to your mouth does that recorder have to be,. would you be able to just put it in a shirt pocket and then just talk when needed? Does it have a connection for an external mic? something that will clip to your collar for example. A notebook is a pain even if you have an assistant.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

dan, mine was a cheap $20 one from walmart.

it picks up from many feet away, and can store hours and hours of recording.

uses 2 aaa batts, and they lasted nearly all season.

best $20 i've spent on beekeeping so far.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

That's the same model I use to record my inspections. You can just leave it in any pocket and it will pick up fine. I still have last years batteries in mine too.

Sweet, My daughter is sending hugs your way folks. She is so tired of trying to help with the bees and having her hands full of notebook and pen. I will have to get two of them though. One for her and one for me. she is really good at getting the notes. Maybe I will just get one for her. I mumble to myself to much.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Voice recorders are great. I use one for interviews and events I cover in my job as a newspaper reporter. Council meetings are often recorded from 20-30 feet away, so it shouldn't be a problem in the bee yard, especially if put in the shirt breast pocket. Most (all?) have a port for an external mic that can be clipped to the lapel.
    If there is wind, however, that can cause some problems with play-back.

Quote Originally Posted by tefer2 View Post
    That's the same model I use to record my inspections. You can just leave it in any pocket and it will pick up fine. I still have last years batteries in mine too.
    What about background noise? I am next to a hyway.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

My I add the low aluminum saw horse or bench Like $30 I Have both and use both for differt things The Table gets used for cut out and Sales. Where the bench for yard work Like putting boxes on it.
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

I have a hand-held magnifying glass in my equipment box. My bifocals just don't cut it a lot of the time.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I've got a free Android app on my smartphone (called Smart Voice Recorder) that is supposed to not only skip the silence, but you are supposed to be able to pick out what you want it to record. For instance, if you are near a freeway, you have it listen to the freeway noise so it knows what to filter out, and then speak so it knows what you want it to record. I haven't used it much yet, but am hopeful it will be a good device for working the bees. My next test will be to see how much noise it will pick up on windy days...and can you filter that out too.

Hand held recorder quickly covered with propolis...8)

Table is good but I use this:

very strong and compact. Perfect for stacking your boxes, less lifting and bending.

Amen to the glasses!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Nasal, the recorders have about 40 hours of recording time. You turn it on before you get out of the truck and just leave it on. When home, just fast forward to listen. Easy peasy

[QUOTE=NasalSponge;880416]Hand held recorder quickly covered with propolis...8)

Just leave in your pocket and turn it on before you start messing in the hive and wait till ya clean up to take it out the batterys last for days left on.

I all so have a radio that was my grandfathers and i play classical music when i'm working my bee. My bee yards are my sanctuary where there is no people just me and nature so nice. Can't wait till spring.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by mtndewluvr View Post
    I've got a free Android app on my smartphone (called Smart Voice Recorder) that is supposed to not only skip the silence, but you are supposed to be able to pick out what you want it to record. For instance, if you are near a freeway, you have it listen to the freeway noise so it knows what to filter out, and then speak so it knows what you want it to record. I haven't used it much yet, but am hopeful it will be a good device for working the bees. My next test will be to see how much noise it will pick up on windy days...and can you filter that out too.
    Will this device be able to filter out the wifes voice?

You need a device for that? I thought that is built in!

NasalSponge, Looks like the ones I picked up Lowes on line Black Friday $17 Werner free delivery. Bought 4

I love it, great for everything from moving boxes, to a nice place to sit for a moment, to a base for catching swarms!! Me thinks I paid a bit more than you did but still worth every penny!! 8)
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast