Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Beego, Bee quick or what else?

"What do you all use to get the remainder of bees out of a cavity once you have the comb out when dong a cut-out. I don't want to use something that's harmful to the bees but need something that will work."

Patience seems to work quite well. Leave the chemicals in the truck. Like deknow mentions leave the cutout at the same location and allow the bees to settle into the new location. We use a vacuum (bee-killer) as a last resort. Don't bee in such a hurry.... try working with the bees and not against them.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

>We use a vacuum (bee-killer) as a last resort.

A bee vacuum is only a bee killer if it is poorly designed or or in the hands of someone who doesn't use it properly. And that is usually using too much suction too fast. It has been said many times, adjust the suction down to where it barely sucks up the bees. Slower but does not kill the bees.

Always good to be aware of different bee removal techniques, and if I had bees living in my carpet I wouldn't hesitate to use the vacuum on them...
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I kill less bees with the vac when doing the cut out!

doc25 >I've only done 3 cutouts. 1st out of shed, 2nd out from under house, 3rd from a wall outside house.

perhaps its all that experience?

I've found that Bee Quick works if the temperature is pretty high, 80 degrees +. I've used it to run bees out by soaking a rag in it and stuffing it in a crevice behind the bees. Mixed experiences with a bee vac.

Thank you all for your replies!!! This has been VERY helpful. I think I'm going to buy a small bottle of bee go and make a bee vac. I already have a old vaccume that I was going to use for this. It's just the time to get it all made and working. This will give me 2 new tools that I can use the next time something like this comes up. Having more tools in your box is a good thing as long as they're good tools!!! The particular cut out that I did there wasn't a way to get the box higher than what I did (which was about 4' away) and they swarmed 2 days later. I went back the next day and they hadn't come out of the cavity so I couldn't even get them then either. Thanks again everyone!!

Well I spoke too soon. . . They can't ship bee go w/o doing it some special (probably costing more) way due to it being "toxic" so I'm going to try bee quick. If I have an opportunity to use it soon I'll try to let you all know how it goes.

Riskybizz, no I don't have much exp and never said I had. But ... it seems to work really well maybe it just fits well with me. Had no one to show me how to do it and did a lot of damage especially to the one under the house, really wish I had the vac then.
    Why don't you use one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12