Hybrid View

Default Beego, Bee quick or what else?

What do you all use to get the remainder of bees out of a cavity once you have the comb out when dong a cut-out. I don't want to use something that's harmful to the bees but need something that will work.

Thanks

Default Re: Beego, Bee quick or what else?

Beevac. My last cutout of the year was amazing with the use of the beevac. Suck the bees off of the comb as you go along removing the comb. You will kill less bees during the operation as well. Suck up the aggressive bees flying around you as well. This operation gets calmer and calmer the further along you get. By the end there were only confused foragers returning.

Thanks doc. I do plan on getting / making a beevac. The last cut-out I did was in soffet and there was about a 1" gap on top of the stone wall going under cedar shingles. She wasn't replacing the shingles and they went up into that space. I was able to start a nuc with the bees that I got, but most of them swarmed about 2 days later. I think if I would have had some kind of bee go that I could have gotten them all. So I'm trying to prepare for next summer's activities.

If you have never used Bee-Go, keep this in mind. I have posted it before. Work with Bee Go 6 miles away, always up wind, wearing a respirator, in a 60 ft. bunker, equiped with a 6 million cubic foot per second ventilation system, that will reduce the half life to 3000 years.. It will work, but, it is baaaaaaaaaaddd.

My experience with Bee Quick is about all you can say for it is, it smells good. Bees love it, makes your sweaty bee suit and even your old truck smell good.

Lots of smoke will drive them out. Try to get as much comb out as you can. Scrape the walls or whatever. Use a pressurized sprayer and dampen the area with soapy water. it won't kill the bees, and, they will not try to scoop up any honey from the area. They will leave the area and ball up like a small swarm. Catch them if you can.

cchoganjr

Thumbs Up JP is the king of takeouts....Watch his youtube videos.

Watching a few of JP the beeman's youtube videos is a must if you intend to try this. You can even see him use the sprays to herd the bees where he wants to go. The Robovac is the one you want to make.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: JP is the king of takeouts....Watch his youtube videos.

We suck the remainder out using Robo style vac. Then spray the cavity with Bee Quick. It will keep them out for a day or two. I then stuff the area full with batts type insulation and close up.

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    ...snip... I was able to start a nuc with the bees that I got, but most of them swarmed about 2 days later. I think if I would have had some kind of bee go that I could have gotten them all. So I'm trying to prepare for next summer's activities.
    When you do a cut out, be sure to get some brood comb to anchor the bees to your new box, otherwise they have no reason to stay there.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

The Ridgid vac/blower that fits the Bushkill vac is really a nice beekeepers tool. I use the vac for removals and the blower for pulling honey crops. My only experience with chemicals is when my buddy spilled beego in his truck. I drove separately from him after that.

osfrank...someone said you moved to Georgia after that spill. Any truth to that?

cchoganjr

Cleo, I do know that if it's not stored air tight, it becomes weaker. We buy ours by the gallon and my squirt bottle is about twice the size of Beemans. You do have to use more product than with Bee Go.
    When you spill it in the truck, it's like an air freshener. Not like a vomit comet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    osfrank...someone said you moved to Georgia after that spill. Any truth to that?cchoganjr
    Not me, but the guy who spilled the Beego first abandoned his bees and eventually disappeared to parts unknown.

Triangle board?