Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2013 beekeeping resolutions

15K views 48 replies 39 participants last post by  Acebird 
#1 ·
'tis the season........

one of mine is to be a lot more careful about where and when i add foundation to a hive.

mainly, won't be putting an empty super of foundation right above the brood chamber, separating it from the honey supers above. i believe this triggered swarming in several of my colonies last spring.

#19 ·
That's mine too. I added supers too late, with too many with all empty frames not knowing that's not a good idea.
Set up more bait hives around my own hives just in case. Last year I bait hived everywhere except around my bees. Again, not smart.

#24 ·
You had said you charge $150 an hour. That would be worth my time even if the bees died. I would include a helper or two for that price and still be happy with the profit.

#10 ·
I receive a lot of swarm calls in the Spring and this year I want to resist the urge to "expand" when swarm season comes around and focus on building up my super inventory. I use all mediums for both brood and supering.The goal is to keep my colony numbers at a level which I have the time to properly manage. A few years back my plan was to keep just a handful of colonies at one location. Right now it's a dozen total at three different locations, and that was after some Fall combining. Funny how that happens. I'll use swarms to draw comb but I need to be more aggressive in combining and culling earlier in the summer. I never seem to have enough drawn honey supers when I need them because I'm adding colonies. One day when I retire I'll have the time to step it up a notch, but right now I need to run lean and efficient with smaller numbers. Famous last words, right? :rolleyes:

#12 ·
One day when I retire I'll have the time to step it up a notch, but right now I need to run lean and efficient with smaller numbers. Famous last words, right? :rolleyes:
It doesn't get any easier when you retire. One thing I've learned about myself is that I'm a hoarder when it comes to honeybees. You might as well surrender now Mike and give in to your addiction. Enjoy it while you can. It is useless to resist. There is no known cure. :eek:

#47 ·
This year one of my resolutions is to take on as many swarm calls and bee cut outs as I possibly can.
Good for you! My resolution is to NOT take on any more cut-outs and removals from bee trees. I just don't have time like I used to, and the last dozen or so cut outs resulted in zero bees/hives. I resolve to retire from cut-outs and gladly refer them on to newer/younger beekeepers. It's far better for me to focus on caring for the hives I got (bird in the hand) than trying to help someone and pick up those two in the bush.

Grant
Jackson, MO

#22 ·
I'd like to have better SPM this year coming and better knowledge on how to remain chemical free. Varroa destructor is the worst. Year four and still no chemicals
total of 7 hives dead out of 21 in four years not bad for a new bee keeper but i have so much more to learn i'm sure this coming year is coing to be crazy i know this last year has been can't wait .

#25 ·
Charlie B;878912 You might as well surrender now Mike and give in to your addiction. Enjoy it while you can. It is useless to resist. There is no known cure. :eek:[/QUOTE said:
Your wife already kicked the extractor out of the kitchen. When she kicks the whole operation and you out you might get cured. I hope you are not drying painted supers in the bedroom.

#27 ·
My wife is tolerant of my beehive construction cause my shop and extracting room are 15 minutes away and she never has to clean them.

#31 ·
My main resolution is to get started in queen rearing this year. Get a clear outline on what I will l need to have in place moving forward. I want to buy some land as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.