Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Michigan first year TBH and big concerns about wintering.

Ya know, at this point, I'm back to basics. What do bees do/want/know. Reading about Warre' hives and it makes a ton of sense. Got a newly constructed Lang sitting in the garage made of heavy materials...Warre hives are small, tall, simulating a tree. Total sense. Lang's are wider...could be made to be more Warre' like by adding a nice attic/vent and by reducing the # of bars to 7 or 8 instead of 10 or 11. I just want longevity and no deaths...

Well deaths do happen. In the beginning it is usually driver error. I tried mediums didn't work for me, I have a long hive I made 3 years ago (medium frame size) and have yet to populate it. Running langs but they are expensive. Tried foundationless and might have another go around with that. Built some warres as well never populated them either. When you're jsut starting out try and use what the locals use, as you grow (in experience and numbers of hives) start experimenting by then you will have the hive management experience to really see if something new will work for you.

Good luck

I'm all onto Warre' now. Makes sense. Vertical, top vent, and bees working down during summer, up during winter.