Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: should i use, used beekeepin equiptment?

Jim, ethylene oxide gas is used to sterilize surgical instruments that cannot tolerate Autoclaves. Probably not a solution that the typical beekeeper is going to use regardless.

You can contact anyone you want. I am not concerned about it. Or you could just share what you where told last year. Or did you already?

I went to your link and the search function does not find anything on American Foul Brood or American Foulbrood. Did a further search to find the home page for Beltsville Bee Research Laboratory and of the two search links they have on that page one gets a 404 error page the other does not function. Do you have any links that actually lead to information?

I once again did a google search for American Foul Brood and found this from the USDA
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/jul07/bee0707.htm
    Titled: Helping Beekeepers Beat American Foulbrood
    Selected quotes from the above.

Since the 1950s, the only treatment approved for use in the United States to prevent AFB has been the antibiotic oxytetracycline (OTC), sold under the brand name “Terramycin.” But there have been several reports over the past few years of loss of effectiveness of OTC.

In addition. Fortunately, ARS scientists at Beltsville, Maryland, have recently shepherded approval by the Food and Drug Administration of a new antibiotic against AFB called “tylosin.”

Note the above is prevention not cure. as to infected hives the article begins with.

"Infected bee colonies must be burned, and that is costly for beekeepers."

Nothing that has not been repeated many times over in this group. So the disease is well known to be infectious and predominant. It is also known to be in both the brood and the honey. It is consistent that member of this group will be warned about AFB in regard to used equipment. yet I seldom see mention of it in buying populated equipment. capturing bees along with comb and honey etc. This renders the concern of used equipment pointless. If AFB can be transferred to existing hive. it must be considered in respect to anything that can transfer it. Otherwise don't bother.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Default Re: should i use, used beekeeping equipment?

From another source.
    Spread between colonies: AFB spores can be spread from
    diseased to healthy colony by:
    Transferring brood combs from one colony to another.
    Feeding honey or pollen from infected colonies.
    Bees robbing honey from infected hives.
    Drifting bees.
    Installing packaged bees from colonies infected with the
    disease.
    Artificial swarms from infected colonies.
    Swarms issuing from an infected hive may carry spores with
    them.
    The introduction of queen bees from infected colonies.
    Purchasing or using contaminated beehives and equipment.
    Unsterilized tools may also be a source of contamination.

How many of these methods of transfer are dealt with in current recommended bee management methods?

Default Re: should i use, used beekeeping equipment?

All of them DanielY. All of them are dealt with in current bee management methods. They may not all be mentioned every time this comes up, but they do get addressed.

That list is also in order of probability, if that's the right way to say it. Starting at the top w/ the highest degree of chance of transfering the disease. One way of transfering comb from one colony to another is through buying used equipment, the subject of this THread.

Looking the list over again I see that buying used equipment is low on the list. I would disagree w/ its ranking that low on the list.

Caution is what is reccomended above all. Knowldge and experience are warranted. Learn how to identify the disease and arm yourself w/ knowldge. That is the key to avoiding infection and transfer.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    It is consistent that member of this group will be warned about AFB in regard to used equipment. yet I seldom see mention of it in buying populated equipment. capturing bees along with comb and honey etc. This renders the concern of used equipment pointless. If AFB can be transferred to existing hive. it must be considered in respect to anything that can transfer it. Otherwise don't bother.
    Otherwise don't bother what?

There are a number of ways in which AFB can be transfered. "Transfering brood combs from one colony to another." being of greatest possibility of transfering of infected equipment. Swarms have a low probability of AFB infection.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

"Don't Bother"
    I disagree with your previous statement about worry about the most probable first. Spreading of disease is spreading of disease. and infected hive tool only takes one to infect every hive in your colony. Think of surgery. do you want doctors to only be concerned with the most common forms of infection?

Yes I see other precautions mentioned. but not to the same degree an fervor as I see used equipment get addressed. In truth I would like to see any method it might get transferred addressed as readily.

Somebody captures a swarm and everyone says congrats. But I don't always see them recommend the colony be kept somewhere isolated. or that it be inspected. But if that same person said they where getting a used hive to put them in. beekeepers woudl be all over that.

So be on guard in one respect and not in another. and that is where the don't bother comes from.

A. I strongly disagree w/ your generalization about hive tools. Working beehives and cutting open a human's body are greatly different.
    B.How can one maintain the same degree of concern about everything having to do w/ the possibility of infection and the handling of bees and equipment? Do you seriously see hive tool cleanliness and transfer of brood frames as having the same degree of possiblly transfering AFB from one colony to another?

One is more highly likely to transfer disease from one colony to another by moving frames from one brood nest to another than from collecting a swarm, especially if that swarm is installed in a hive w/ foundation. Period.

Your "don't bother" is too fatalistic. No one is advocating blindly doing one thing or another. Quastions have been asked and answered about this subject adnosium. Look it up. All sorts of caution are recommended in all sorts of cases. Not everything is as faital as everything else.

Maybe you should stay at home this week rather than going to work. You might get struck by an engine falling off of a jet liner.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Maybe you should stay at home this week rather than going to work. You might get struck by an engine falling off of a jet liner.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/29/travel...ris/index.html

A malfunctioning jet engine on an Air Canada flight causedburning hot debris to fall to the ground after takeoff, an official with Canada's Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday.
    The incident Monday, which involved Air Canada Flight 001 bound for Tokyo from Toronto with 318 passengers and 16 crew members aboard, damaged vehicles on the ground and forced the Boeing 777 to return to Toronto
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

When I was growing up, 10 miles from Andrews Airforce Base, just outside of Washington,DC, where Airforce One lands, a jet engine fell from a plane on take off and hit a car on the perimiter road around the base. How I ever survived living that close to such possible destruction I don't know.

AFB Can be treated by radiation

http://massbee.org/component/content...13-afb-program

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Yes Jim, it can. But, it is not accessible or affordable for most of those who will encounter AFB. Maybe you were simply letting those who didn't know that such as "treatment" is possible and effective.

W/ all of the worry about AFB transfer via hivetool, why hasn't someone advocated irradiation of hive tools? Our State Extension Bee Expert spoke about autoclaving hive tools one time, or carrying a dozen or so, as Inspectors, and baking them in the oven every evening after work to destroy any possibilities of spore spread. Coulda added a number of hours to my paycheck doing that I guess.

Mark...
    I will only irradiation if I have comb and honey if no comb I would burn at ALL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Last edited by Jim 134; 12-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Jim, is ethylene oxide gas used to sterilize surgical instruments that cannot tolerate Autoclaves. Probably not a solution that the typical beekeeper is going to use regardless.
    You can contact anyone you want. I am not concerned about it. Or you could just share what you where told last year. Or did you already?

I went to your link and the search function does not find anything on American Foul Brood or American Foulbrood. Did a further search to find the home page for Beltsville Bee Research Laboratory and of the two search links they have on that page one gets a 404 error page the other does not function. Do you have any links that actually lead to information?

I once again did a google search for American Foul Brood and found this from the USDA
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/jul07/bee0707.htm
    Titled: Helping Beekeepers Beat American Foulbrood
    Selected quotes from the above.

Since the 1950s, the only treatment approved for use in the United States to prevent AFB has been the antibiotic oxytetracycline (OTC), sold under the brand name “Terramycin.” But there have been several reports over the past few years of loss of effectiveness of OTC.

In addition. Fortunately, ARS scientists at Beltsville, Maryland, have recently shepherded approval by the Food and Drug Administration of a new antibiotic against AFB called “tylosin.”

Note the above is prevention not cure. as to infected hives the article begins with.

"Infected bee colonies must be burned, and that is costly for beekeepers."

Nothing that has not been repeated many times over in this group. So the disease is well known to be infectious and predominant. It is also known to be in both the brood and the honey. It is consistent that member of this group will be warned about AFB in regard to used equipment. yet I seldom see mention of it in buying populated equipment. capturing bees along with comb and honey etc. This renders the concern of used equipment pointless. If AFB can be transferred to existing hive. it must be considered in respect to anything that can transfer it. Otherwise don't bother.
    Will ethylene oxide gas work

1.On the wood under the aluminum cover of a (Telescoping Cover) ??

2,wax comb ??

3.Honey in the comb??

4.And in your lists you miss ALL the honey house equipment
    Or are you put this in lasts places
    • Unsterilized tools may also be a source of contamination.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Last edited by Jim 134; 12-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Jim, I don't see the cover or the honey house on the list. You can't argue against what is on the list so you just have to make up one to argue about. You are the one saying the cover and the honey house are an issue. so what have your found as to how to manage it?

I didn't put those thing on my list because I don't think they are an issue. you do. so post the sources for that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 134 View Post
    Mark...
    I will only irradiation if I have comb and honey if no comb I would burn at ALL
    BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Why, when scorching supers works so well? Seems wasteful to me.

IMHO Not worth the $6.50 a box to my

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Jim, where do you get your boxes???

Right on. I have used old supers that I scorched and it had worked well in the past. Why waste the money? It costs me less than a buck to scorch a box.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Jim, where do you get your boxes???
    IMHO If you live in New England their is only one place to buy woodware Humble Abodes in ME.

http://www.humbleabodesinc.com/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Yeah, Western Bee Supply is the same to me as Humble Abodes is to you. Price Comparison:

Commercial:
    -------- HA ----- WBS
    Deep - $12.00 -- $10.05
    Medium $7.95 --- $7.05

Budget:
    --------- HA ---- WBS
    Deep -- $9.35 -- $8.70
    Medium $6.50 -- $5.95

When I order (from WBS), it takes 2 days to arrive. The shipping is the downside; but it is still low, though.

I do know and have read each post .... thanks to all that helped me along the discussion was great and the info was wonderful
    yhe first pic is what I started with and after alot of work I am half way done on the second pic
    Bee hive 007.jpgBee hive 009.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast