Been busy trying out my new tools and sawing up some lumber into things that resemble bee hives.cedar hive.jpg
My red cedar came in last week and I planed some down. Spent the afternoon putting things together and came up with my first deep body and hive stand. Things did not work like planned, the cedar was splitting some and cracking along the joints. And, I miscalculated the inside frame rests, they are not wide enough for the frame to drop in. I am going to have to unscrew and re saw the ledges. I will use some tightbond to glue the edges when I screw them back together. My finish coat on this box will be clear exterior polyurethane.
I have built a few nuc boxes out of pine and they turned out alright. nuc1.jpg+nuc2.jpg
I also built another hive stand out of western red cedar. Not as bright and aromatic as my local stuff. stand top.jpg
I need to spend some more time with my saws. The new/old Craftsman has a blade that is not squared to the fence and edges are not real pretty. I have to get a manual and figure how to adjust it. I also need to drill the pilot holes for the screws a little bigger to keep from splitting the local cedar. But I am off to a start.