Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wanted Mating Nuc plans And Frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Why is that?
    I see you do not read Repay #8

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 134 View Post
    I see you do not read Repay #8

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    I wasn't asking Michael about what you claimed. Got as much answer as you have attitude?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    My mating nucs are 4 way with 4 mini frames in each, with standard hive bodies and covers.

Bottom Board: Pine rim with 1/2" plywood dadoed into rim with 3/8 rim on each side of plywood. So rim is about 1 1/4...a bit less as 1/2" plywood is 7/16. Two 3/8" cleats are attached to bottom, corresponding to position of central divider and internal feeders.

Hive Body: Standard hive body with rabbett cut into the middle of each short side to accept 5/4" divider. Top edge of divider has a 3/8" x 5/8" frame rest cut into each side. That leaves 3/8" on top as the separator. When cutting the 5/4" divider, don't buy 5/4x12", buy 5/4x6". Then shiplap the two together. Helps with shrinkage and cupping.

Feeders are 2" wide x the width of the cavity from divider to box inside edge...minis...1/8" so you can remove feeder and bees can't cross around feeder. Depth is the same as the box you use.

Inner Cover: Grain bag.

Outer Cover: Standard.

Frames: Buy standard deep frames and two extra end bars foir each frame bought. Cut top bars so they fit between the frame rests, minus a 16th so they can be removed. Can't remember the length off the top of my head.. Re-mill the top bar to match the other end. Cut and re-mill the bottom bars to fit. I cross wire wired foundation. Starting out, you might cut up brood combs on a table saw top fit into frames.

Place mating nuc frames into broodnest of strong colony to Get brood in comb. Doesn't always work well...bees put nectar and pollen in minis and queen ignores. If you have wintered nucleus colonies, elevate brood and bees over excluder, emptying bottom box. Place minis in end to end with queen. She has to lay there. When minis are full of brood, break up into mating nucs...two frames with brood, one honey, and one empty comb or foundation. Give cells next day.

Now can you see it

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Jim, I was asking "Why" Not for a copy of one solution. If you don't have an observation or opinion that is fine. But you seem to think you need to answer the question you think I should have asked rather than the one I did ask.
    Now, do you see it?

Kelly bees puts it fairly well in their first newsletter.
    Quote form the introduction to July 2010 newsletter.
    "We’re publishing this newsletter because, in most cases, you don’t need necessarily more information, but you do need options, considerations, and solutions to your unique situation."

Djastram, Thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate those links.

Quite the plans DJ, from Gary, thanks. Now you know why I use the design I use.

These are the ones I built. I have 17 of the doubles.

http://youtu.be/q13iKBVixY8

http://youtu.be/R-M8OQn7H_0

I have since decided to use queen castles instead, and the mini's will sit where they are. I am trying to hold fast to using standard equipment, whenever possible.
    Last edited by djastram; 12-25-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added some thoughts...

You do know the little Mating Nuc have a hard time drawing comb

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Daniel Y
    Do you not ask this question
    Why is that?
    You just do not like my answer.............A cup of bees have very few rescuers to draw out comb to make cells

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

So do you think it would work better to retrofit the frames to fit in a full size hive and let them be drawn there?

I want out to the shop and cut the pieces for one each of the 3 and 4 frame minis yesterday. I will put them together later today and start making frames for them. I take it the 4 frame is supposed to have a frame feeder in it???

I am working over an idea of how to make clips that will hold two of these half frames together end to end so they could be placed in a full size box for comb building.

The idea that 4 of these could be placed over a full size hive. the 3 frames comes out a bit to small the 4 frame a bit to large. But either way I think they could be made to set on a board designed to adapt them over a full box and then allow the bees to move down and out of the nucs. At worst I end up with a bunch of mini frames full of honey.

Both of these have solid bottom boards and only one half inch ventilation hole. Is that going to be enough? I have heard not to put screens on the bottom. I am also concerned that the bees will be able to keep the queen at the proper temperature.

Anyway I made these two just so I can set and stair at them and ponder. I will make a 4 way as well. actually I want to make a 4 way a couple of different ways. one with 4 compartments but using full size frames. I don't think I will get away with the big ones setting on my desk though.

In addition what has been the general experience with using graphic on the front of the hives. such as a circle. square. star etc. and what colors make a difference to bees? Do the graphics seem to help and do colors make a difference?

So do you think it would work better to retrofit the frames to fit in a full size hive and let them be drawn there?

I am working over an idea of how to make clips that will hold two of these half frames together end to end so they could be placed in a full size box for comb building.
    I've tried just about every way to get the bees to draw mini combs and fill them with brood....before I set up the mating nucs. Placing them, end to end in the broodnest of a strong colony doesn't always work. Often you get only pollen and nectar. I use 2 frames of brood to start my mating nucs. Setting up 500 of them in May takes a bunch of brood. Adding frames of foundation to brood nests doesn't work. For the initial combs, why not cut up brood combs to fit into the mini frames, and pin them there with support pins?

Even then you'll have difficulty getting the queen to lay in them. You can add a super of them above a broodnest, or within the broodnest, but still you won't get the brood needed. If you have any wintered over nucleus colonies, do this...

Remove combs of brood and bees from bottom nuc box...mine are two story. Add 8 mini frames...my nuc boxes hold 4 deep combs per story...end to end, and place the queen on them. Elevate the brood and bees from bottom box over an excluder. Add the second story above that box if your nucs are in 2 stories. In 3 weeks, your mini frames will be full of brood.

Once your mating nucs are up and running, you should be able to winter them and have brood in the combs. They'll draw additional combs during the active season...in fact you had better plan on it so they don't get too strong and swarm.

Check Dave Cushman's site. He has plans for folding frames that open into standard deep size...fold into 2 mini size.

I added some temporary frame rests to a medium for drawing out the mini's. The queen of the colony even laid eggs in a couple of the frames.

The mini frame setup in the medium box got kind of messy, they drew comb between the frames, that had to be torn apart to get them out of the medium.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/FILE0021.jpg

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/IMAG0048.jpg

Michael, I have two 5 frame nucs as of now. Provided they make it through winter I will give your instructions a shot. I did think of the cutting and pinning of brood comb into the frames.

djastram. I figured they would have to be cut apart and cleaned up.

Overall it sounds like mini drawn frames are as valuable as any other drawn frame in an apiary.

Michael, I have two 5 frame nucs as of now. Provided they make it through winter I will give your instructions a shot. I did think of the cutting and pinning of brood comb into the frames.

djastram. I figured they would have to be cut apart and cleaned up.

Overall it sounds like mini drawn frames are as valuable as any other drawn frame in an apiary.
    Daniel Y.....

How you see.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

You do know the little Mating Nuc have a hard time drawing comb
    I think it has a lot to do with the over all condition of the bees making up the mating nuc; not least, the level of what we might call colony cohesion.

The enclosed photos: taken this last summer (the worst, weatherwise, that the UK has had for decades). The first is of a foundationless half shallow frame which had only been in use for a couple of days -they can actually be drawn far faster -again, there are lots of factors at play. The second, not entirely relevant, is an older fully drawn example of what these units can do.

I think that there are few rights and wrongs in the bee game; no matter how much we debate these things, practical field work will often show us how wrong we are!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rolande; 12-26-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Well I have my two minis setting here in front of me for the last couple of days. Michaels suggestion to look at Davids Bifold frame works well for the 4 frame mini. But the guy writes numbers in the wrong language. Good easy answer for how to fit mini frames in a full size hive though. So far about the only difference I see is how many frames I have to build.

I am going to work on a 4 way next. Like I said I want to try as many as I can make and these are all coming out of found wood. A little known wood that grows in big metal boxes randomly scattered about urban locations. The biggest cost savings is that it grows pre cut into boards.