Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Beginning Beekeeping Accounting

11K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  New Ky Beekeeper 
#1 ·
OK. Third year, 17 hives, harvested from 8. This year I started tracking income/expenses, with an eye toward losing a little money on my taxes. This year I had approximately $5K go in and out of the account, not enough to justify professional tax preparation. (Surprising to me- to date I'm only a couple hundred in the red and still have enough honey left to come out ahead.)
Started plugging the numbers into my accounting software but the catagories don't seem to make sense. I'm a contractor, do my own taxes, and am familiar with Schedule C, (Profit/Loss from Small Business). Should I be looking at Schedule F (Farm income)? Or is this Hobby Income? Am I going to prison?

#3 ·
Charlie, Schedule F seems simpler to me, perhaps not at first but in the long run. Several different agri. ventures can fit into 1 schedule F. I use it for polli money, honey, grape vineyard, land rentals, and lumber harvests. I've considered schedule C, but consider F to fit my needs better....

#6 ·
Cg3, your first line is exactly where I'm at too.
I did a beesource search on taxes and after reading a few threads I'm going with schedule f, and at least for this year, an accountant. I want to find one that will teach me as they're doing this years taxes. I'm glad you asked the question, I'd planned on doing the same.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Keep in mind that good bookkeeping is primarily designed to help run your business more profitably with being able to create a tax return from the numbers being a by-product. If the categories don't make sense yon need to create your own to meet your needs. In QuickBooks, for example, you can go to chart of accounts, select "new" and create the categories you need.

If you are not familiar with setting up your accounting software I strongly suggest you get a professional to help you get started. It will save you time and money in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.