Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A hybrid species?

The keepers down south keep a species of bee which is a cross between the carolian and italian bees. What kind is that? Is it alright to keep?

Default Re: A hybrid species?

I actually think that cross is pretty common here in the USA. I often find carnies and Italians together in my hives. I guess it depends on the mating situation. They are still bees and will still provide honey, so no need to worry!
    Coyote Creek Bees

You may find the following useful:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/....12%20copy.pdf

If you are using Search for bee species, using "Carniolan" will probably get better results than "carolian".
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

One should remember that virtually queens are open mated with a variety of drones. Hybridization is really the norm, and beekeepers are the better for it. Strictly from a color perspective I love to see a hive with a variety of colorings in the population. Particularly love those striped breeders.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

This idea of crosses between subspecies and ecotypes of Apis milifera being hybrids is incorrect. A cross between Apis milliferara and Apic cerana would be a hybrid. Crosses between common honey bees and african honey bees are not hybrids either. So the whole idea of hybridization in the common honey bee is erroneus. This is not to say that there are no advantages in crossing these bio types. The crosses widen the genetic base and in my opinion produce a better bee. Our bees are muts and produce bees that look like pure Italians all the way to bees that are essentially black. In some instances all in the same hive.
    Dave

That's interesting Dave and I'm one of the people who tends to refer to a cross between say, italian and carniolan as a "carni hybrid". What is the correct term?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Hybrid works for me for crossbreeds, for all my purposes and probably most folks. It is common usage but may not be assbolutely correct usage.

it's a hybrid of sorts. Just like crossing two parent inbred lines i.e tomatoes, the resulting line is referred to as a hybrid although maybe not in the truest sense.

Cool. I don't like getting too hung up over words, although they are important and misuse can be aggravating. (Plus show ignorance).

Looks like "hybrid" will do, for the common folks.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Yeah, both will be unknowingly incorrect. Like the folks who illustrate cartoons about the Mayan Calendar w/ a picture of an Aztec Calendar Wheel. Why don't you call them Carnicrosses? Or Carni/Italian crosses?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Actually, when talking to people I usually do. But for online banter "hybrid" seems to slip out easier, it can avoid confusion with cross (angry) bees.

Yes that Mayan thing was a bit of a laugh, wearing weird clothes & thinking they understood what those old Mayan guys had been talking about.

But most of them were just there for some dancing and drinking LOL!

'mutts' works for me. (finding just the right 'mutt' is my goal )
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

my mistake, I meant Carniolans. I forgot to mention this was down south in the Philippines. I guess it would still be the same answer though hahaha

A hybrid is the result of a cross between 2 unrelated individuals from the same species. If they are truly 2 different species then they cannot breed and produce fertile offspring i.e. a mule.

A mule is a hybrid, and not always sterile. The offspring as far as I know is a horse and fertile. Many of the hybrids we use are from different species. Reproductive isolation can be genetic ( different chromosome numbers ), behavioral, or biochemical.
    The use of inbred lines is to increase the expression of hybrid vigor. Hybrid vigor increase as the genetic differences of the parents increase. I wonder if anybody has tried to cross A. mellifera with A. cerana.
    I am recently retired from a career in plant breeding. We crossed diploid wild species to hexaploid species to try and retrieve disease and insect resistance.
    Dave

I like Carniolans and italian mix. thats what i have, small clusters in the winter and boom in the spring. i got some pure italians also, they have a huge cluster now and eat up almost all there stores. my Carniolan mix have lots of stores and small clusters. i also notice the Carniolans are out and about in cooler weather.

Does someone sell Carniolan "mite resistant" bees in either nucs or queens? Bear in mind, for shipping times, that I live in West Texas. Also, will Carniolans survive 50 or 60 consecutive days of 100 plus temperatures in the summer?

(My first year beekeeping - hope there's patience here for inexperience.) I'm going to have 2 hives - I'm thinking 1 Italian and 1 Carniolan. I'm interested to see what differences I can detect over the year between the breeds. If later I introduced a virgin queen of the breed I prefered, would it then mate with drones from both hives and become a balanced mix, or hybrid, or....what?

>A mule is a hybrid, and not always sterile.

The males are always sterile, at least in recorded history (which goes back a very long ways). The females are rarely fertile. The oldest account historically that I've heard of was in 480 BC and was considered a omen.

>The offspring as far as I know is a horse and fertile.

The offspring would still be a mule technically, but there is a record of one that appeared to be a horse and was not sterile. Most are sterile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule#Fertility

Zorses (half horse and half zebra) are similar. (aka zebroid zedonk, zebra mule, zonkey, zebrule) They are almost always sterile but there has been at least one that I've heard of that was fertile. I never heard if the fertile zorse had fertile offspring or not.

All of these tend to be a female horse and a male of the other species. When it's the other way around, my grandpa called them "Jennies". But the more common term seems to be "hinnies". They are smaller and more rare.

But these are all crosses with other species. A carniolan is the same species as an Italian. Both are the species Apis mellifera.
    One is the variety (aka race, breed) carniolan and the other is the variety ligustica.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesraces.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Mutts the only way to go