Default How to use Dadant winter patties

Anyone use? I'm going to put them on a hive, wondered if they fit beneath the inner cover or if a spacer is required. Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Default Re: How to use Dadant winter patties

Hey James,

The bees seem to like the Dadant patties very well. Unless you have an inner cover with a deep rim, I would recommend a spacer/feeder rim. It makes it easier for the bees to "cluster" on the patty.

Another thing I would do, is only put one patty on at at time. Sometimes the Dadant patties can "leak" or drip on your bees. But, if you only have one patty one, I have not seen this to be a problem.

HTH,
    Shane

I made 3/4" spacers for my hives and screwed them to the second deep prior to installing the winter patties. My bees like them a lot. I put three patties at a time on the hives with no issues. I doubt you'll have any melting this time of year around here. I've added additional patties after they ate the first ones. I hope to buy more from Dadant at the ABF convention next month.

I use a 1x2 rim board just put it on top. then put your stuff in and the lid.