Thread: Which is worse?

Default Which is worse?

Which is worse:
    A well ratched stack of three deeps getting blown off thier stand, doing a full end over end roll then droping on its side....but all still together
    Or
    Hive tops blowing off(partially) exposing 3-6 frames to cold rain for several hours....

HOWLING winds here all day have given me some of each, fortunately I was home and my 5 year old keeps an eye on everything "dad dad beehives are blown over, I think maybe you should do something"

Not asking from any serious worry...it is what it is. Just sharing/moaning a bit
    I was quite surprised not to have them visable/riled up when putting to rights. Low 40's high 30's maybe they all blew away. But hopefully they are just hunkered down and can dry off before the sub zero coming in a few days

Default Re: Which is worse?

I don't know, but I'm going to check one of my outyards because we had the same wind here Wednesday night.

Thanks

Maybe you should have used a bucket of water to hold those hives down.
    Jest kiddin'

My hives are still upright, but the clear plastic covering my cold frames (lettuce) got all shredded. I just got done installing new plastic and getting things back as they were.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

lost my 3 nucs here in western KY last night. looks like the wind got under them on their elevated,hollow,stand and flipped 'em. one top went 40 feet! all soaked and dead this AM with temps around 30.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

We get winds here off the Rockie Mountains that literally blow empty freight trains off the track when they come thru notches in the mountains. My bees sit on the ground and have lids with a big paver on top! Rotten luck fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Maybe you should have used a bucket of water to hold those hives down.
    Jest kiddin'
    It has to be a 5 gallon bucket of water and you need to pile lawn furniture, plywood etc. around the hives!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    We get winds here off the Rockie Mountains that literally blow empty freight trains off the track when they come thru notches in the mountains. My bees sit on the ground and have lids with a big paver on top! Rotten luck fellas!
    I have my hives on the ground, and they never tip over when the big winds come. Of course, my bee yards come with rocks and every hive has at least 1 on the cover. Holds the lid on as well......

Harbor Freight straps. They are 8 bucks for 4. They wrap the hive nicely with pleanty of room to spare. If you have 2 side by side they will hold two together. They are perfect for moving hives also. I have hundreds of them for moving all my hives with my boom. Dropped a 5 story one upside down and it did not open with this strap. They were pissed but, not opened.

Straps are the best price out there.

Hooks are perfect for taking out corks in packages and hooking the can to lift it up.

Laser is great for making candy or mixing sugar water or testing the temp of the honey when warming.

Buy that big item you have been looking for with this one.

Here are some others. Hurry up they are going to end soon.

Mine was elevated and ratcheted to the 4 concrete block supports. It held

We had 50+ mph winds here in Northern Central Kentucky. I had a hive cover get blown up, but not completely off. It was just still covering them, but was lifted and slid slightly. I am hoping my bees didn't get wet, but I guess time will tell. Lesson learned!

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    It has to be a 5 gallon bucket of water and you need to pile lawn furniture, plywood etc. around the hives!!!
    He missed his chance to prove me wrong whether the survival rate would have been better or worse with the pail of water. Oh darn, better luck next time.

We didn't get any numbers on wind velocity in his post but a simple wind block might be enough to keep the wind from getting under the hives or creating "lift" when this happens. I know it is always fun to make fun of other people but who are you making fun at the guy that watched his hives tumble?

Strapping a hive to cement blocks adds weight to the hive but it may not prevent lift from happening so if the velocity is great enough it can still go over. A weighted 5 gal pail adds weight to the hive much the same as the blocks but it also turns the air around the hive and kills some of the lift, especially if it is inverted with the bottom facing up.

Maybe someday someone will seriously try to prove me wrong and get a pleasant surprise.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    A weighted 5 gal pail adds weight to the hive much the same as the blocks but it also turns the air around the hive and kills some of the lift, especially if it is inverted with the bottom facing up.
    When I picture this in my mind, the minute I turn the bucket over to have the bottom facing up, the water runs out!
    Regards, Barry

I am not sure I stated in the very first post that the bucket would be a paint or joint compound bucket with a sealing lid. Sorry I leave such simple things for a beekeeper to figure out for themselves.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Ah yes, details are an engineer's best/worst friend!
    Regards, Barry

I am not sure I stated in the very first post that the bucket would be a paint or joint compound bucket with a sealing lid.
    Fortunately, I provided a link in my post above. For those who didn't click the underlined link, here is the original quote:

If the bees came from FL I would think they know how to survive the weather. I wouldn't move them unless there was a danger to flooding. Weight down the covers. 5gal pails of water work good.

As always, clicking the little blue arrow takes you to the original post/thread. I mention this because I don't want to be accused of taking things out of context.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

All those sarcastic replies seem kind of silly now that I know the bucket had a lid on it.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Sure been windy in these parts the last few days . I have wind breaks and cender blocks on most hives.
    I have 3 hives with them wonder covers{plastic} ya can't put cender blocks on them they buckle so i strap them.
    Plus everone is wraped so things are cozey. Can't wait till spring.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

well, I wasn't looking to start any bickering

the wind was sustained 30-40 most of the morning with many gusts pushing up well over 60...they clocked 90+ a few miles away and 125 on a nearby peak. There was one noticeably big gust midmorning that did a tremendous amount of damage all up and down the road (destroyed 2 trailer homes not far away)....I suspect it was the culprit. We get the big down slope winds a few times a year, but normally from the northeast and then the house shelters the hives a fair bit. these came from the southeast which is less protected.

To be fair, the hive that really tumbled was on the edge of an embankment, so once it went over...it really went over!
    I run a bunch of differing gear. That was 3-8 frame deeps, with a slatted rack on bottom and a medium quilt box on top....pretty tall and a bit narrower with the wide face into the wind....kind of asking for it.
    The other hives that opened up part way were my long hives. they have sheets of roofing tin strapped down over the insulated outer covers. the wind got under the tin and buckled it back and then sliced the strapping (it appears). The inner covers are lots of 4 " sections and only a few of those lifted off...so not too bad a soaking I hope.
    The standard hives: some single 10 frame, some double 8's or 10's all had cinderblocks on top and were just fine. I was pretty surprised the 2 2-story 5 frame nucs didn't go over, and grateful for it as they looked very good when closed up last.