Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How do I tell if nectar is coming in?

8K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Lazer128 
#1 ·
I can see bees bringing pollen into my hives, but how do I know if a honey flow is on?

I don't think I can simply assume where there is pollen there is nectar. Or can I?

If I frequently go into my hives I can note cells being filled, but is there a way of observing from outside the hive that there is a flow on.

Keeping is a hobby, or at best avocation. Just noting variation in activity levels is going to be a marginal method.

#2 ·
welcome dav!

it's a little tough sometimes to tell just by watching them fly in.

you might be able to appreciate that they look a little 'fatter', or they might be a little 'sloppy' with their flying as they approach the entrance.

#3 ·
Incoming bees that are "loaded" sometimes are so heavy that they are clumsy trying to land on the landing board. You can watch for this behavior. If there are flowers getting worked, and you don't see pollen, but the incoming bees are clumsy, they probably have nectar.

#5 ·
In general plants produce pollen at lower temps than nectar.

Bees fly differently when on a flow. Less "wondering" More "in and out" Listen for the "roar"

One time 15 years back or so I was in a yard where the sage was wrapping up and the toyon was just bursting. One morning ABOUT 10:30 in the morning someone turned the switch on and the whole yard started to "roar" instantaneously. I will never forget the moment. Amazing!!!!

Otherwise follow the following guidelines:
Step 1. Listen for the sound of wax glands getting "excited."
Step2. When you hear the sound of active wax glands followed by the clamping sounds of Mandibles gripping wax open your box.
Step 3. Look to see if you see white tinges of new wax lining either old cells, frames, or foundation.

Step 4. If you are unable to accomplish numbers 1 or 2 go directly to step 3.

#12 ·
Ok, thanks to all who responded.

I'm in St. Paul MN. No, I am not experiencing nor expecting a nectar flow anytime soon. I am doing what every Minnesotan does in winter, anticipating.

I have kept bees off and on for 35 years in the Southwest and the Midwest. I just never figured out how to tell if a dearth is prompting me to feed. Thanks to y'all as they say in more sultry climes, I will be watching for the drunken bombers, sniffing the heady aromas of the evaporating liqueur, and asking someone less deaf than I to listen to the sounds of progress within.

#16 ·
I keep 1 hive on a scale to check for the major honey flow then mark down the dates. It has varied by almost a month in the 7 years i've been checking it. Thats why beekeeping isnt done just on a calander.. It Is kinda fun to guess when its coming by keeping track of temp , rain .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.