Results 1 to 20 of 59

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chesterfield, NH
    Posts
    504

    Question This one is for Acebird

    Your science lesson for today.
    I am sending this to my very smart friends knowing someone will provide an answer...!
    Frozen Water Bottle
    Molecular Levels
    Okay, you engineers, scientists and smart ones out there, explain this one!
    The frozen water bottle.
    Folks, this is really interesting.
    Don't know why this happens.....Do you??
    Click Below:

    http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=50683

    http://youtu.be/O47-QOWRTrk


    BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    3,044

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Crystallization requires a catalyst under conditions of zero motion. I've had the exact same thing happen until I shook the bottle and it froze instantly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    10,145

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Crystallization requires a catalyst under conditions of zero motion. I've had the exact same thing happen until I shook the bottle and it froze instantly.
    Seams as though banging around in a trunk would create motion though.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,754

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Seams as though banging around in a trunk would create motion though.
    The man says "truck", not trunk.
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,624

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Jim's just messing with us. When water gets cold, it freezes.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    3,044

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    It won't if not disturbed under the right conditions. My dad has seen lakes calm as glass freeze over instantly when a gust of wind finally caused rippling, and I've seen the same thing with a bottle of water in a freezer, it was still liquid when I picked it up but as soon as I swirled it, it froze instantly. I remember it being talked about in chemistry as well. You need a minor input of energy (in this case movement) to initiate solidification.

    and it's always true on youtube

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fot3m7kyLn4

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,276

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Yeah, right. I'd like to see him do that w/out turning it up side down. Bet it wouldn't work. Just because it got cloudy doesn't mean it was frozen. Bang it on something to show me it's frozen and then I will believe it.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yeah, right. I'd like to see him do that w/out turning it up side down. Bet it wouldn't work. Just because it got cloudy doesn't mean it was frozen. Bang it on something to show me it's frozen and then I will believe it.
    I used to do this all the time at work, I would put a bottle of water in the freezer when I got there, several hours later it would still be clear liquid, when I opened it and took a sip I would get one mouthfull of very cold water and then I would watch the ice level starting at the top and go down to the bottom, leaving a botle of firm slush.

    The trick is it has to be undisturbed and very pure as it cools. He didn't have to turn it upside down, he could have flicked it on the side, but it is more impressive going top to bottom.

    beecurious is right

    Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    It's called Science...

    Look up nucleation and supercooling.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kingsport, Sullivan, Tennessee
    Posts
    789

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yeah, right. I'd like to see him do that w/out turning it up side down. Bet it wouldn't work. Just because it got cloudy doesn't mean it was frozen. Bang it on something to show me it's frozen and then I will believe it.
    oh, ye of little faith. -js

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,754

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    I think it's so funny that Beesource's resident ace engineer believes that the two videos are staged.

    A lot of folks don't trouble themselves to learn about things.
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    A similar phenomonum can be observed at the other end of the temperature spectrum. A cup of tap water and a cup of distilled water are put in a microwave and heated until the tap water is boiling. Distilled water appears still until something (spoon, sugar cube) is put in it. Stand clear, sometimes it splashes violently.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baker Oregon
    Posts
    2,490

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    A similar phenomonum can be observed at the other end of the temperature spectrum. A cup of tap water and a cup of distilled water are put in a microwave and heated until the tap water is boiling. Distilled water appears still until something (spoon, sugar cube) is put in it. Stand clear, sometimes it splashes violently.
    Saftey tip, heat water in a vessel with a wide open top (such as a bowl) if you heat it in something with a narrow top it acts like a nozzel when the violent splashing begins.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,276

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I think it's so funny that Beesource's resident ace engineer believes that the two videos are staged.

    A lot of folks don't trouble themselves to learn about things.
    I don't claim to be an engineer, so excuse me, but, what does this have to do w/ engineering? Brian never claimed to be a scientist.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,754

    Default Re: This one is for Acebird

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't claim to be an engineer, so excuse me, but, what does this have to do w/ engineering? Brian never claimed to be a scientist.
    It's physics...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads