Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing mutiple packages

Are there any problems that may be encountered when installing multiple packages next to each other at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Istalling mutiple packages

It is done all the time, but, you may get some drifting from the shook bees since they have little or no allegiance to the caged queen they are with. May wind up with some stronger and if so, you will have some weaker. I have seen where all the bees from one package joined another package, and abandoned one of the queens.

If you only have a few packages give them distance if you can. If you have lots of packages it is not practical.

cchoganjr

Drifting is the reason I never shake the packages but still have had "drift", if they drift just change places (put weak ones where strong ones are) and you may have to do that more than once.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

honeyman45408 I agree with you. My use of the tern "shook" was not meant to imply shaking the package into the hive, but rather "shook bees" as describing the process of shaking bees FROM hives to make up the package. Often these "shook bees" come from multiple hives, and have little or no allegiance to each other or to the new queen.

Sorry I did not make myself clear.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-19-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add info

If you all don't shake the bees into their new home, how do you accomplish the process??

Thanks

I would do them in groups late in the afternoon before dark and screen them in for the day and spread them out in your yard so you minimize the drift. This is what happened to me years ago. I have learned and I am up to 150 now, next season should be 300.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ght=super+hive

I have read the same thing about installing two packages side by side. I don't have the luxury of distance between the two hives because I will be building a bear fence around them and I really don't want to build two fenced in areas. What about staggering the installation 24 hours? Would this help?

Goat man..I have not bought a package for years since I sell nucs and complete hives, but, I have installed a few for others.

I like to take 2 drawn combs, place against an outside wall. Hang the queen between these two frames. Insert three frames with foundation,
    then sit the package on the bottom board, hole side up. Screen the entrance for 12 to 24 hours, feed from a top feeder.

Works for me, doesn't anger the bees as much as shaking them onto the frames or in front of the hive.

cchoganjr

If the bees decided on their own that a queen sucked would it be a good idea to replace that queen?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

This is really timely, as I have ordered two packages for next spring. I appreciate your thoughts.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

This past year I installed 8 packages without any shaking. I pulled the syrup can and the queen cage and positioned the queen cage as usual. I then placed the package cage inside the hive - as I remember it took four frames of space. After 2 or 3 days I went back in, pulled the package, and replaced the frames. This method worked like a charm - all queens were accepted.

I did this using new plastic foundation (undrawn but with my wax painted on) in wooden frames.

Why? I was curious.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Acebird...I don't like sarcasm so this is a legitimate question.

How do you know that the bees think their queen sucks. The presence of supercedure, queen, swarm cells doesn't necessarily mean the queen sucks.

cchoganjr

Thanks Cleo. That sounds like a plan.

Thanks to all for the replies. I now have a plan, a totally different one then I had before this thread by the way, that I am
    confident will help in my yard increase next spring!

Goatman

Cool Re: Istalling mutiple packages

I install over 800 packages a year and all is done in 3 days. Of course its done in March when its colder. If the weather is warn enough that the bees are going to fly we spray the bees with syrup to keep them home for the day to clean up. Yes and I do shake them in the hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Acebird...I don't like sarcasm so this is a legitimate question.

How do you know that the bees think their queen sucks.
    I don't know. I am going by the fact that they left her. I assume that they think she sucks because otherwise they wouldn't leave her in large numbers. If it were a few, no big deal, right? But if it is large numbers to the point that the colony gets weak, I think they think she sucks. How do you explain it?
    Brian Cardinal

I guess I would explain it, when talking about packages in close proximity, which is what we are talking about, that there is no loyalty to that queen, and that the bees are shook from multiple hives, mixed together, then shook into packages and weighed. The bees are totally confused, bounced around for one or more days, then placed in a strange hive, enough to make a bee wonder WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE.

In the case of drifting between installed packages, the bees don't really know if the queen sucks or not, she is still in the cage.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    In the case of drifting between installed packages, the bees don't really know if the queen sucks or not, she is still in the cage.

cchoganjr
    Except I didn't say the bees know she sucks but they think she does. The ones that are leaving are joining a colony were the bees are not leaving and most likely protective at that point. Is that not life threatening? That looks to me to be a decision on a individual level. Maybe I am wrong.
    Brian Cardinal

Acebird... I guess in this case, we are both just guessing.

I know I am. I don't have a clue what bees think.

cchoganjr

I recommend shaking them in, especially if the weather is cool, this way they seem to be able to form a cluster quicker than with the method of placing the package cage and all in. Waiting until late afternoon or early evening can also be very helpful so that disoriented flight time is limited and the bees will be able to casually orient the next morning weather permitting. A light spritz of syrup with some HBH like EOs will be very helpful if you have a lot to do and have to work during very active foraging conditions.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com