Thread: bottom boards

Default bottom boards

This will be my first try at beekeeping. I live in nw oklahoma. the summers are hot and the winters are cold. Should I use solid bottom boards or screened bottoms? I kinda like the idea of using screened with the mite boards but don't know for sure wich to use. Thanks Archie

Default Re: bottom boards

I like solid but have a few screened ones as well. Solid ones are just too easy to build from scrap wood and last longer.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

archa haymaker... use the search box, upper right, enter bottom boards, or enter solid vrs screen bottom board, and you will find lots of comments on both screen and solid bottom boards to add to the ones you will get here. There are about as many that like one or the other and vice versa.

Those threads should help you to make a decision.

Just my two cents worth, (and likely overpriced), I like solid.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-19-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add info

Just spitballing here, but once you install the mite board in a screened bottom board isn't it considered a solid bottom board? Best of both worlds.

Not really. A mite falls through the screen and is programmed to just sit there waiting for another bee to come along and attach itself. Being below the screen it can't and, without a host, it eventually dies.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I meant you can use it in the hotter months as a screened bottom board by removing the mite board and slide the board back in to stop air infiltration in the colder months.

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Not really. A mite falls through the screen and is programmed to just sit there waiting for another bee to come along and attach itself. Being below the screen it can't and, without a host, it eventually dies.
    I'm not sure that's true. I remember in ABJ or BC a year or two ago reading an article by a researcher that had assumed the same thing, that mites really don't go very far. He had a bunch of mites in an open container on the floor or something a few feet away from his desk, and eventually felt them crawling on his leg (I think that was the story). Anyway, lesson is that mites will go a lot farther than you think to get back on a bee. The screened bottom and mite board mite provide some physical barrier in that the mite can't climb back into the hive, but maybe it can. Of course it can't if it's stuck in vaseline or something sticky.

I've always felt that screened bottom boards did very little to keep mite counts down. For every mite that falls through there are hundreds of baby mites waiting to hatch. The only other reason I could see them being used is for ventilation. I don't know the science behind how the bees ventilate their hive; so, I don't worry about that too much. I have used solid bottom boards with no problems so far. Mostly because they are cheap and easy for me to build.

The prevailing wisdom is for one that is starting out to have at least two hives, so that comparisons can be made if something goes wrong (and other reasons). If one was to do that, they could have one solid and one screened bottom board and see which one they prefer.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

As long as you put the trays in over winter, it's probably irrelevant. I prefer solid as I can convert them to feeders, saving money.

http://bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#bottom
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Make solid ones.

Hey Archie, personally I am changing back to all solid this coming spring. I originally got screened as SHB traps but I have very little problems with SHB here so far.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries