Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 4.9 bees and 5.4 foundation

Firstly, I don't want to be nit-picky and aggravate anyone, but do small cells only produce small bees?

Secondly, the only jihad I have going is against feral pigs. I trap and shoot somewhere between a hundred and a hundred and fifty of them a year. This has been on-going for eight years; therefore it has become a jihad. I don't have the time and energy for two jihads.

In my part of the country, we don't have jihads against people. If all negotiations dry up, we just square off and open a can of whip butt.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    Firstly, I don't want to be nit-picky and aggravate anyone, but do small cells only produce small bees?
    I don't know why you are not getting an answer. Small bees come out of small cells and large bees come out of large cells but if the bee has a place to build what they want you will get a mix or they might just take off. It is my understanding that you let the bees regress themselves and once they have done that you replace comb with small cell. I don't believe you can force the bees to do what you want without problems.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

LS I envy you all that bacon potential but you probably would just prefer no pigs. My 4.9 colonies are indeed mostly all small bees. Some larger comb always seems to be there though and larger bees. Seems to be a game of averages. My experience is more curiostiy driven than scientific so i only observe and don't actually measure. But I see a real difference in size from the regressed colonies.

Small bees have no trouble building larger cells. Larger bees have trouble building cells too much smaller than they were raised in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi Rusty

I've un-regressed small cell bees by putting them back on large cell foundation. Essentially their behavior remained the same, but they became susceptible to varroa mites.

You can read more about it here:

http://beenaturalguy.com/un-regressed-bees/

Regards - Dennis
    I once wrangled bees. But now, I know better, so I do better.
    http://talkingstick.me/category/bees/