Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Having problems with the design

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr.Beeman 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem with the design of the langstroth. The carpenter I'm working with is having a problem getting the notches in, you know those square bits on the edges of the four corners where they pop into each other? He doesn't seem to know how to create those. Any suggestions?

They're circled in red here:

DISCLAIMER: The photograph is not mine, I just found it online. This was the best example I could find and I apologize to whoever the picture belongs to.

See less See more
#2 ·
You need a real carpenter and not just a guy that gets paid to swing a hammer.
He needs a dado blade.
A good carpenter should have no problem making a jig (or sled) to space the cuts.
There are a number of youtube vids illustrating such jigs.

If your guy can't make one, he shouldn't have trouble finding a carpenter who can.

#4 ·
Josh, an alternate box design is to skip the "box joints" and just dado (rabbet) the ends of the boards at the corners where they join. Be sure to glue (Titebond II or III is best) and nail or staple the joints as well. You can rabbet each mating board, or alternatively, just the side board and leave the end boards full thickness. There are multiple threads available using Search about this, here's one of them:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?270439-Anybody-using-ship-lap-joint-on-their-boxes

Post #10 of that thread has a good diagram of what a corner with both boards rabbeted, but you can also just rabbet only one board at each corner. Show that diagram to your carpenter and discuss the options.

And guys, please note that Josh is in the Phillipines before you bash his carpenter.

#6 ·
They do not have good carpenters in the Phillipines?
I don't know, I have never been to the Phillipines. Have you?

I expect that somewhere in that country, someone does know how to make box joints. But whether Josh can afford that person's services, delivered to his specific location, is a different question. Unless you have been there and assessed the local economic situation, it takes a lot of hubris on your part to assert that you know what the situation is better than Josh, who is there! :eek:

#7 ·
joshc1025... go to utube and search box joints. There are lots of good videos there to show you how to make box joints, or, as suggested above, you can make rabbet joints. Good videos on those joints also.

Good Luck. I have been to the Philippines, (Clark and Subic) there are lots of good carpenters/craftsmen there. I have a very nice, hand carved, Eagle, solid mahogny, from the Philippines in 1968.

#8 ·
We do have professional carpenters with state of the art equipment and as I understand they don't charge for much, just around 300 dollars. I was actually thinking of ordering the parts of the langstroth from the US unassembled. I figure it would be around the same price.

#15 ·
Well, IMHO finger joints are better left to cabinet makers, not carpenters.

That said, before I go through the effort and mistakes of box, finger or rabbet joints, I'd butt the ends together with glue and fasten with self drilling deck screws from both directions. I made nuc feeders from scraps that way and later used them for stools. The wood breaks before the screws, the glue takes out any wiggle, the girls don't mind and after a few years everything weathers beyond the details.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#19 ·
Raider,
Here a simple hand sketched drawing and a materials list is sufficient for a BP. That and I've been building for over 17 years so inspectors know my work first hand.

Sergey,
The casters were installed for ease of movement. This is actually a bar b que cart with a tiled top that was built for one of my customers. Although he refuses to use it as a cart. lol I think it just sits there and looks good.
Nice shelving units.
Josh,
Sorry if I hijacked your post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.