Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: VA Bee Grant for 2013 Suspended

@sqkcrk: Mark, the VA Grant was brand new this year and was available for new hives started in calendar year 2013. So, the application process was not announced yet. Nobody has applied or received a grant. Grant money was limited to $2400 per person and $200 per new hive. So if you start 12 or 120 hives, you still only get $2400 total.

All: Keep in mind funding was deferred until fiscal year 2014. The state could still accept grant applications for hives started after 1/1/2013 at some point. We just won't see a grant payment until after July 1st.
    Last edited by Irmo; 12-19-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: left a word out

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Perhaps, but that would force the state to pump more funds into Keith's office. Historically he's been running on a shoestring budget and I don't see that changing with the current political realities.
    Then they should take the money and give it directly to his office but this way does not seem to be an appropriate use of the funds, something stinks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beehaive View Post
    Then they should take the money and give it directly to his office but this way does not seem to be an appropriate use of the funds, something stinks about it.
    Silly Silly people thinking that Uncle Sam may have your best interests in mind. Take a moment and reflect back on history and count how many times we came out on the good end of a deal with Uncle Sam. I would say I know that bait looks good and smells good BUT RUN AWAY!. I already pay tax on my dogs I will not pay tax on my bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Irmo View Post
    @sqkcrk: Mark, the VA Grant was brand new this year and was available for new hives started in calendar year 2013. So, the application process was not announced yet. Nobody has applied or received a grant. Grant money was limited to $2400 per person and $200 per new hive. So if you start 12 or 120 hives, you still only get $2400 total.

All: Keep in mind funding was deferred until fiscal year 2014. The state could still accept grant applications for hives started after 1/1/2013 at some point. We just won't see a grant payment until after July 1st.
    What I read refered to hives started in 2012. So I assumed application and payment would have occured in 2012. I guess I assumed incorrectly.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Bee View Post
    Silly Silly people thinking that Uncle Sam may have your best interests in mind. Take a moment and reflect back on history and count how many times we came out on the good end of a deal with Uncle Sam. I would say I know that bait looks good and smells good BUT RUN AWAY!. I already pay tax on my dogs I will not pay tax on my bees.
    This has nothing to do w/ Uncle Sam and you pay a licensing fee for your dog so the Commonwealth knows your dog got rabies vaccination which protects the public against those who see no reason to do something for the better good of others. There is a difference between taxes and licensing fees. You aren't taxed for the value of your dog.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

So I guess the only way to make sure my dog has a current rabies shot is to pay a STATE licensing fee. So I guess you would not have a problem paying a STATE licensing fee to make sure your hives don't have foulbrood?

I know how to identify AFB, a disease which only effects bees. I pay a vet to vacinate my dog against rabies and the licesne shows anyone who needs to know that it was done. I don't see the problem here.

In NY we don't license beehives or beekeepers. If we did, I would vehemently lobby my state Reps to fund the Apiary Inspection Program and demand 100% inspection. I know what partial inspection reveals, partial results.

Why do you pay a State Dog Licensing fee?

By the way, y'all, any fees collected won't go directly into the State Apiarists Budget. Government doesn't work that way. All monies collected go into the common pot and funding of Agencies and Department is done through The State Budget. That's how your Governor was able to cut the Grant. Apparently he has line item veto power to delete from the Budget that which the Legislature installed.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by mountain bee View Post
    silly silly people thinking that uncle sam may have your best interests in mind. Take a moment and reflect back on history and count how many times we came out on the good end of a deal with uncle sam. I would say i know that bait looks good and smells good but run away!. I already pay tax on my dogs i will not pay tax on my bees.
    exactly!

Hey, to each his own I don't need anymore government in my business. If you want more service from your government or should you want to serve your government more have at it. As for me and my house we will serve the Lord (Joshua 25:15)

And I am sure you render unto Caesar what is Caesars too, right?

I'm a little surprised that Beekeeper Welfare wasn't brought up earlier on in this Thread. Why should the Commonwealth of Virginia pay people to do something they should do on their own? W/ their own money invested.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

That grant came about from a few VA High school Students who heard about the honey bee population dying off and wanted to make a difference. They had good intentions but lacked the education of the reality of our government workings but I am sure it made their parents and teachers real proud.

Someone should show the students how to make top bar hives.
    30 bucks per hive if you go to homodepo for the materials.
    Cheap & cheerful, and they get the job done.
    If they (the students) do well and maintain their interest, langs would easily follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Bee View Post
    That grant came about from a few VA High school Students who heard about the honey bee population dying off and wanted to make a difference. They had good intentions but lacked the education of the reality of our government workings but I am sure it made their parents and teachers real proud.
    So that's why it says "18 years old". Thanks

Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Here is how the bee grant was written as of a week ago.

PURPOSE
    To establish guidelines and requirements for qualification under the Beehive Grant Program.

BACKGROUND
    The Virginia General Assembly created the Beehive Grant Fund (Fund) for the purpose of promoting the establishment of new beehives in the Commonwealth.
    Beginning January 1, 2013, any individual who either purchases a new hive or purchases materials or supplies to construct a new hive may apply for a grant from the Fund.
    Each grant shall be in the amount of actual expenses incurred for the purchase of items to establish a new hive up to $200 per hive, not to exceed $2,400 per individual per year.
    Appropriations for this program are $125,000 for Fiscal Year 2013 (July 2012 to June 2013) and $125,000 for Fiscal Year 2014 (July 2013 to June 2014). NOTE: Funding for Fiscal Year 2013 will not be available until January 1, 2013.
    In the event that the amount of funds requested exceeds the amount of funds available that fiscal year, such grants shall be paid in the next fiscal year in which funds are available.

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
    Only residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia who are 18 years of age at the time the application is submitted are eligible to receive a grant from the Fund.
    Funds received through the Beehive Grant Program are subject to state and federal taxes.
    New hives funded through this program, either fully or in part, shall be installed and remain within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    A new hive shall consist of a minimum of two deep hive boxes with frames and foundation, a bottom board, and cover (for a Langstroth-style hive), or a hive of equivalent capacity that has movable frames with combs or foundation that cause the bees to construct brood combs and that may be removed from the hive without injuring other combs.
    A qualifying purchase must include all of the following qualified items, provided the items are used to establish a new hive:
    - Hive boxes
    - Frames
    - Foundation
    The following items will also qualify if purchased in conjunction with the items above:
    - Bottom board
    - Inner cover
    - Outer cover
    - Queen Excluder
    - Feeder
    Non-qualified items include hand or electric tools, honey bees or queens, hive stands, raw materials used to fabricate a hive component, used hive components, and personal apparel
    or equipment.
    Qualified items must be used to establish a new hive with a viable colony of honey bees within one year of the date the items were purchased.

APPLICATION PROCESS
    Requests for grants from the Fund may be submitted electronically to the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) utilizing the online application
    that will be accessible at www.vdacs.virginia.gov.
    Applicants may also send completed applications and required documentation to the address below. Please be advised that processing of applications received by mail or fax
    may be delayed.

I will say that I do think this is poorly written, but I do like the idea and what they are trying to do.

The governor does not have line item veto power, he has to submit a few budget cuts to the state legislation and this is one of the things on the chopping block

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12