Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VA Bee Grant for 2013 Suspended

Talked to Keith today and he said the VA Governor is putting the VA Grant on the chopping block and the grant has been suspended until its future is determined.

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/index.shtml

Default Re: VA Bee Grant for 2013 Suspended

For all the hoops they want you to jump through just to get the grant, it is not worth it anyways. Up to $200 for a hive and they want state and federal taxes taken out of that. They want to come on your land at anytime and inspect. I am sure it is aimed at getting their taxes from your honey sales, bee sales and anything else they can find to pilage. STAY AWAY!

Can't say I was thrilled with the hoops either, but it would've helped those of us strapped for cash. That said, I did have serious misgivings though for the reasons you state Beehaive.

Oh well. Sad to see the commonwealth back off from their support of beekeeping.

I am not familiar w/ this Grant. What are the details?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

It was a grant (reimbursement) of $200/hive up to $2400/person for new beehives established in 2013. Didn't cover bees or protective clothing, but it did cover woodware. You had to file a W-9, register with the state, allow inspections, etc. to qualify.

Looks like the governor suspended it just before it was to begin (Jan 1 2013). This is the text from the VDACS website:

"BEEHIVE GRANT FUND
    Governor McDonnell's proposed amendments to the 2012-2014 biennial budget included deferral of funding for the beehive grant program. The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) was to start accepting applications under this program on January 1, 2013. However, in light of the proposed budget amendments, VDACS will not be accepting applications at this time."
    Last edited by urbanoutlaw; 12-19-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: additional details

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What are the details?
    See the link below. Look in the middle column of the page, just below the Welcome box.
    http://www.beekeepersguild.org/
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Why dont we contact our state legislators and let them know how we feel?

www.poorvalleybeefarm.com

Hi guys,
    this is tax payers money they are talking about, no such thing as free money. WE KNOW HOW THESE GUYS CAN WASTE MONEY. So do you think it is right that beekeepers should line up so that taxpayers should subsidise our hobby. Maybe we should just go out and mug our neibors in the streets after all we feel it is for a good cause. Personally I wont touch Govt. hand outs with a ten foot pole but you guys may do what your concience decides.
    Johno

Wondered how long it would take foe this kind of comment to be made.

As a taxpayer, I thought it was rather insightful of the commonwealth to support the increase pollinators given Virginia's agricultural background. Long term food security, sustainability and all that. But what do I know? Public funds being used for the common good?

Time for me to /leave thread

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Hi guys,
    Personally I wont touch Govt. hand outs with a ten foot pole but you guys may do what your concience decides.
    I second that

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutlaw View Post
    register with the state, allow inspections, etc. to qualify.
    Thanks urban,
    VA already has the authority to inspect any and all bee hives in the State, whether you allow them to or not, if they want to press it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    See the link below. Look in the middle column of the page, just below the Welcome box.
    http://www.beekeepersguild.org/
    Thanks Rader.

How many of you who are from VA are now or were 18 years of age when you applied for the Grant. That's the first thing I noticed under the list of requirements. It's the first rerquirement. Appears as though VA is trying to get not only new hives established in VA, but new and young beekeepers.

Urbanoutlaw,
    I do not know where your bees are, but knowing my agricultural area the only crops my bees could be polinating are GM modified corn and soybeans which do not require polinating which is just as well as both are treated with neonics. Now if the state really wants to help my bees they should refrain from mowing the sides of the roads when Goldenrod and Asters are in bloom.
    johno

Quote Originally Posted by Beehaive View Post
    They want to come on your land at anytime and inspect.
    You might want to look at our beekeeping laws, as they have those rights now. They have even exercised them on my property. Not complaining, but its a fact.

I had reservations about this program. My impression is that reimbursements were to be handled on a "first come" basis. The total allocation was not a lot of money ($125,000), so I could foresee some gaming happening. The first 52 people who claimed $2400 would get served and program would be done. Perhaps they would have handled it better....

Mark,

I believe that it was implied that you must be at least 18.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    ...bees could be polinating are GM modified corn and soybeans which do not require polinating which is just as well as both are treated with neonics.
    Just because a crop doesn't require pollination doesn't imply that the bees aren't visiting it! If you have soybeans around your bees I can guarantee you that your bees are visiting and collecting nectar off it.

Astrobee,
    I have checked out fields of soy beans close to my hometo try to see bees in them, found bees feeding on deadnettle around the edges of the field but saw no bees on the tiny soy bean flowers, saw no bees on string beens in my garden either. Saw bees on other types of beans so I think bees might prefer some varieties while not feeding on all types. I was interested on the soy bean story as much has been said about the neo-nicotenoids used to coat the seeds as a possible cause of bee losses
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Mark,

I believe that it was implied that you must be at least 18.
    That makes sense, but it isn't what it says. Were I living in VA I would buy 120 new hives and soak up all the funds in one application. Has anyone submitted application for this Grant Money and gotten any?

For all the hoops they want you to jump through just to get the grant, it is not worth it anyways. Up to $200 for a hive and they want state and federal taxes taken out of that. They want to come on your land at anytime and inspect. I am sure it is aimed at getting their taxes from your honey sales, bee sales and anything else they can find to pilage. STAY AWAY!
    They can come on your land anytime they want anyway if you have hives, but the inspection part was taken out of the grant. It was only submitting one form and a receipt to get the money and why wouldn't you have to pay taxes on it. Nothing is free, the government is always going to get there cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    You might want to look at our beekeeping laws, as they have those rights now. They have even exercised them on my property.
    Not saying that they can't do it now but this seems to be the start of something bigger. Add this to the Food safety act and it seems to suggest that it is about taxes in the end. At least now I may be a registered beekeeper but they don't know how many or where my hives are. I would bet you will be charged per year for a license in the not so distant future. By accepting this grant you will part of the first ones for the tax collection model. Just keep the government out of it, have they done something in the past to make you think they have you guys in thier best interests? Maybe I am just a conspiracy theorist.

Not saying that they can't do it now but this seems to be the start of something bigger.
    Perhaps, but that would force the state to pump more funds into Keith's office. Historically he's been running on a shoestring budget and I don't see that changing with the current political realities. Currently its hard enough to get them to come out when really needed (inspections for queen and nuc sales). I love a good conspiracy theory, but I don't think this is one. However, I agree with you that simply handing out bee boxes to people is probably not the best use of our tax dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast