Default Comb honey produced in a jar

I saw the thrill of a new idea go sweeping thru the forum last spring where bees were forced into qt and pint jars to produce comb honey. Did anyone have any success with it? I couldn't get cut comb drawn this year at my end of the drouth. Any luck anyone?

Default Re: Comb honey produced in a jar

So, No one actually tried this?

I am with you on this one Vance I have seen pics of this before but would like to know the how to of doing it.

Well the first time I tried it it worked (6 1# stright sided jars on a innercover with holes the size of the jars) I got 3 our of 6 and have tried it several times and had NO luck I did have a one gal jar on a hive for 2 seasons and they made a lot of comb in it but never put any honey in so I lost 2 seasons of honey production on 2 hives trying that one.
    If it works it is a nice conversation piece and if you get enough it can sell for a GOOD price.
    "fatbeeman" does it in a qt jar and sells for 35 bux I think!!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Here's how the fatbeeman does it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl9iG...63309CA7BB2B7F

I know that Don K said this was a way to make money. last spring a lot of people including me said they were going to try it. I am stubborn and indeed may try it this spring. Just hoping for success stories.

I think (but don't know, just the force telling me this) that you've got to really crowd the bees so they have no choice but to build in the jars.

My cousin did it years ago with wide mouth quart jars. Medium super and a dozen jars pretty much fit the super, open end down of course. I wonder if a layer of melted wax on the bottom would help? I did try it start of my second year, but I didn't have enough hives that year for honey demand and no patience to wait for bees to build comb. I ended up switching out with frames. It worked for him, he was in San Diego at that time. I may try again this year in just one hive.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I tried it but could not get them to draw in the jars, I just don't have flows needed for it. A friend of mine tried it in his area and got all 12 wide mouth pints full of comb honey. The hive he had the jars on was a deep on the bottom, a medium above it, with jars on top of that.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I did it perhaps 10 years ago and this is how I did it. I replaced the inner cover with a 3/4 plywood. 8 holes drilled with a hold saw the size of the ring band on a mason jar. That keeps the threads on the jar clean. Melt and pour about 1/4 inch wax in each jar, then put a thin strip of starter wax in the wax before it hardens. This gives the bees something to start on, and a way to get to the wax because the sides of the jar are slick. I used a single deep, chock full of bees. I found that to be successful you will need to remove the queen, making the hive queenless so it cannot swarm. They will immediately start making them a new queen, but you will get 16 - 20 days, and during this time they can fill the eight jars. Unfortunately they did not capp all the cells, did not completely draw comb in some of the jars, and unless you remove the queen, they will swarm because they are out of room to store honey very quickly

They do not fill all the jars at the same rate, so you have to remove those that are ready, and insert more empty jars. Some they never did finish. Perhaps the honey flow ended to soon.

I only did it one season. Too much work and I did not have a market for the in-the-jar-honey, that would pay enough for the time involved.

One other thing, you will need to surround the jars with a deep hive body and a top. If you use a shallow or medium, the wax in the jars can start to melt from the sun and the box getting too hot. The larger box did keep the wax from melting.

I have not been tempted to try it again. Fun to play with, but not for me.

cchoganjr

i got around 12 jars drawn from two hives. they look great and will be christmas presents for friends, but the energy it took to get my strongest hives to move into them, and how honey bound the brood chamber below became made me wish i'd just thrown a couple supers on. it did cost production on strong hives. in early summer i thought its only 2 of 60 hives right? but really not all 60 hives got huge and made big crops. i don't know if i'll try it again. justin

Would putting a few jars on top of a hive be a good tool to know if a super needs to be added? If bees drawing comb in the jars is a good indication of near swarm conditions, one could look often without disturbing the hive.

putting jars on top would not be a good idea for that. its work setting up the equipment, theres no good way to get the bees out of it when you'd want to add your super. there are good ways to know when a hive is ready, and they are not that disturbing to the hive. a frame of foundation in the previous box gives you an idea when they are ready for more room, or brood in the outer frames can be an indicator.