Default Does temperature affect queen rearing

Thinking about raising a few queens for the “just in case“ but I'm wondering if there is a certain temp. range that is best for queen rearing I'm thinking of using the nicot system has anybody tried this any comments on this thx

Default Re: Does temperature affect queen rearing

I go by when you start to see drones flying. Before that is too early. Temperatures can vary a lot.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Drone's don't fly until they are sexually mature, once that happens they need a day above 69 degrees

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/queenrear.html

External temperatures aren't limiting for rearing virgin queens, since nurse bees regulate the temperature that all the brood are reared at, including queen cells. However, external temperatures and otherwise suitable weather conditions are critical for the flights of drones and queens, where they need to get together for matings.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

In my opinion a chilled queen isnt a good thing. May is the earliest ill start but I raise my best queens in July/ August.

Well I saw my first drones 8 of March hatch so when would they be ready to rumble I don't know to much about drones so any input would be nice

Reminder Re: Does temperature affect queen rearing

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel Romania View Post
    Well I saw my first drones 8 of March hatch so when would they be ready to rumble I don't know to much about drones so any input would be nice
    I set up a queenless nuc this past weekend, our highs have been in the 60-70s F for the past two weeks and a massive amount of drones have been coming out of my hives. I moved one frame of brood out of my fav queen to the middle of the nuc, one frame of honey/pollen and two frames of mixed new/sealed brood. I notched several areas of new brood to get the queen cells going. Now with all that the temps are looking a lot cooler for this week so I moved the nuc to a well protected area and wrapped it up with insulation. Queen cells will be ready to move to new nucs the first week in April. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't but not much invested in the effort.