Default loads of dead bee's, but still buzzing?

I have one hive left after the other swarmed in october. I made sure to stack straw around the hive, put insulation on top of the top cover, put in a mouse guard. Being in northeast ohio we had one cold winter. sustained negative temps throughout till the end of February. I put in a protein patty last week, but never dared to touch the mouse guard where dead bee's were noticeably stuck in the holes. Today removed the mouse guard to put in a from feeder. after thoroughly scraping out loads of dead bees I put it in. However I felt very unnerved. I pressed my ear to the back of the hive and heard a slight buzzing. I felt reassured, but only slightly.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: loads of dead bee's, but still buzzing?

On a warm sunny day, see how strong they are flying. If the cluster is larger enough they should do

It is unnerving this time of year; too cold to use syrup, so I leave the solid sugar on. Also too cool to pull frames to see what you really have.

Sounds like they couldn't drag the dead ones out through the mouse guard and they just piled up. the amount of live ones are more important than the dead ones

Mine had so many dead bees they couldn't get out. They seem to be doing okay now

Well it's still dipping below freezing and hanging around the 40's during the day. I reckon April will bring warmer weather. Can we all agree the waiting game in the spring time is overrated and makes you wanna purchase an X-ray machine?