Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Finally extracted our honey

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I don't worry about my posts being interesting after the first page. They usually get trashed by the same few people.
    Lauri probably has as much a hobby in photography and wood working as he does with bees. He should do as he pleases if Barry is OK with it.
    You are absolutely amazing... How many times do you need to be informed that Lauri is a woman?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Usually every post I make.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Absolutely!
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

How much honey was taken off the three hives?

I thinks it's "she". Just a friendly correction

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    How much honey was taken off the three hives?
    33 pounds.
    Brian Cardinal

33 pounds of honey off of three hives??? So an 11 pound average per hive?? Why even take that honey?? I know I know, its your bees and you will do as you please. Glad they had "plenty of forage around" to make you a few pounds of honey.

And Yes, Lauri is a SHE, but probably with more skills than you and I put together.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    How interesting would Lauri's posts be if she only had links? Not very... How much detail are we missing from her photos? None
    I do not like the posts with a lot of pictures embedded - it makes reading difficult. Also it forces people to see something, which may be they do not want to see, for instance Lauri's pictures with killed animals - manifestation of human superiority! I find the uploading pictures at beesource confusing (to me!). I have no desire to re-size my images just for beesource. Links are essence of the WEB: hyperlink transfer protocol, so it is desirable to use links.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    I know I know, its your bees and you will do as you please.

Zero dollars spent on bees this year = 33 pounds of wonderful honey. It works for me...

cerezha, maybe BG is physically challenged and he has a rough time with his clicker finger.
    Brian Cardinal

I have noticed this too and it is annoying. This post was brilliant - a real quality job.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Absolutely!
    BG - is this a hobby of yours? or are you simply lacking confidence and need to stir the pot to make you feel better? I say - grow up!

BG - " 33 pounds of honey off of three hives??? So an 11 pound average per hive?? Why even take that honey?? "
    Do you realise that the forum would be much more fun if you stayed in your cave? For many families 33 lb is plenty and they see it as a blessing.
    It is nearly Christmas - BG go and wrap some presents, take out last years LEGO blocks - give the rest of us a break.

33 pounds causes me to wonder how much others use each year.I am the only one who eats it in my house and I use about 20 pounds plus about 5 pounds for cooking.Mine goes on hot biscuits and pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2seed View Post
    33 pounds causes me to wonder how much others use each year.
    The demand for honey went up when we made a batch of mead and it came out so good from a couple of goofs even. I am not going to make a batch this year because I have too many family members begging. I guess my plan of sticking with just one hive is not going to work. You guys were right, you got to have multiple hives.
    Brian Cardinal

cerezha, maybe BG is physically challenged and he has a rough time with his clicker finger ...
    But with embedded pictures it is even worse - instead click, one need to do a lot of scrolling!
    Серёжа, Sergey

cerezha, maybe BG is physically challenged and he has a rough time with his clicker finger.
    Nice attempt at being funny Ace, but I suggest you watch some Tosh.O before you try again, then maybe I'll laugh because I don't find it funny when someone like you makes fun of people with disabilities. Your a real class act dude.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Ace said:
    Not a big harvest this year but I aggressively split the one hive that made it through the 2011-2012 winter a couple of times and ended up with three active hives. I probably took honey on two hives that I shouldn’t have so if I loose (sic) two it may be to starvation or mites. Next spring we will see and learn.

and also said............
    The demand for honey went up when we made a batch of mead and it came out so good from a couple of goofs even. I am not going to make a batch this year because I have too many family members begging. I guess my plan of sticking with just one hive is not going to work. You guys were right, you got to have multiple hives.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You want more honey next year than this year's 33 pounds. How will you get that if you lose the two hives to starvation and have to keep aggressively splitting the third hive every year as you mentioned? A sacrifice this one year would have given your three hives a much better chance to produce the 2013 season. Not sure what hives in your area average............but couldn't one good hive give you at least 80 to 100 pounds? So this year..............three hives at 33 pounds total is pitiful. At that rate, one good hive is worth more than three non-producers as far as honey harvest goes.

There is also an "expense" to replacing these dead hives next year (loss of honey production and splitting the one hive since you probably won't buy bees). Maybe the hives should have been combined to make one or two from the three hives and left with enough stores for the winter.

Winter is unknown as to how the bees do. Sounds like if it is harsh, your bees lose and so do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    Winter is unknown as to how the bees do. Sounds like if it is harsh, your bees lose and so do you.
    But so far it isn't. Here is the economics: If winter is harsh I will be able to buy ten hives with the extra cash I make from plowing snow. If it is mild the bees might make it.
    What is the output of an average hive if you never put anything into it? It is all an experiment for me. I am not making a living on bees. They pollinate our gardens and that is all we ask of them.
    Brian Cardinal

My experience is quite the opposite. I'm far more concerned about a mild winter for bee survival than I am with a harsh one. If you keep bees long enough, you'll experience it for yourself.
    Regards, Barry

Barry, basically I don't have much experience. Some people will immediately say that I should follow the words of the experienced. Yeah, that is one way. How do you know if it is the only way? Do the opposite and find out.
    Brian Cardinal

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast