Quote Originally Posted by LetMBee View Post
This always gets heated between Beeks. I for one do not believe in the aggrandizement of man. Bees have been on this earth longer than man has been caring for them. I feel it is foolish to believe that every single colony can pass genetic muster. Some of those genetics must lead to a dead end, while some lead to hygienic behavior or something as amazing as what Japanese honey bees do to thwart asain hornets.

Saving one particular colony is not always the best for bees on the whole. Since I have quit feeding and treating colony losses, though hi at first are beginning to go down. Everyone has a different idea, but historically, no matter what we do the bees must sort it out.

Look at the way that Langstroth bemoans the Wax moth, calling it the bee wolf in his book. Today the wax moth only destroys the weakest of colonies. Why? Because of some great invention or method of MANAGEMENT? NO!, because all of the bees that couldn't hack it DIED. Only superior stock survived and today wax moths are more of a nuisance of unused equipment than a killer of hives.

I was told that varroa killed all of the feral bees in my area by many a mentor. Guess what, NOT TRUE. If the feral colonies can find a way so can our hives. Especially if we are trying to obtain some of their genetics. This isn't something you can experiment with if you are filling pollination contracts, but if you are just in this because you love bees, I can't think of a more noble pursuit.

Therefore I believe doing nothing is sometimes the most prudent course.

Go ahead rip me apart.
Okay, though I don't agree w/ the term "rip me apart".

A. You don't have to let the whole colony die if you can replace its genetic stock by requeening. Why throw those adult bees away when you can use them by combining tyhem w/ another colony, thereby boosting their population.
B. Wax moth was overcome by superior genetics? I never heard that before. Do you have something you could site which I could read too? Maybe Langstroth's colonies were werak enough from failing queens so that wax moth could prevail.
C.How long have you kept bees? Were you keeping bees when varroa went thru Indiana, killing the ferals as it did the managed colonies? What ferals came after, repopulating the cavities laid unoccupied by previous occupants, did so from managed colony's swarms. Simple as that. I guess it is entirely possible that some ferals were not killed by varroa's initial infestation of your territory, but, in my opinion, this is not all that likely.

These are my opinions and you are welcome to your own, just as I am to mine. Both can exist w/out rancor. Peacefully submitted.

p.s.: should your heart give out, should we not transplant another one into you should one come available?