Hybrid View

Default DIY Honey Setteling Tank Examples

Has anyone built your own settling tank, if so how did you do it and where did you buy the tank. If using stainless steel how do you cut the hole for the honey gate. Comments, suggestions and web links are appreciated.

Thank you
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Default Re: DIY Honey Setteling Tank Examples

Decades ago I made one out of a heavy stainless Coca Cola 55 gallon drum. I think I cut it with a drill and sawzall or scroll saw. And mounted a cast gate. It was too heavy to deal with in the honey room as I got older so I now just use my 1975 vintage 100g stainless Kelley tanks, also with cast gates. I think those Coca Cola drums are still available.

I'm planning on getting a used 500 gal SS milk tank as soon as I have a shop set up, plan on using either some kind of carbide hole saw for the honey gate (which will suck because SS is abrasion resistant) or a plasma cutter. I've worked at several weld shops in town that I'm still in good with so I'll probably just pop on down to one of my former stomping grounds and zip out a hole with the plasma cutter. Need to decide how to keep the honey in the tank at ~90F though.
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

One of the club members brought in a bunch of thing to sell. And one was a pool filter tank about 14" Die 24 tall. Through a friend we fab it up for bottling. Drilled a hole weld nipple to it. Made a box to go around it did a butch more welding add a heat element from a hot water tank and controls. works like a champ. Made enough off selling the other thing to pay for it and put $$ in my pocket. Of course it only cost me some beer for the welding. Of course all stainless
    David
    Last edited by My-smokepole; 12-18-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: add
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

Sounds like if I go stainless then cutting the hole for gate is a tricky spot. I'm thinking about going with plastic tank like the 5 gallon buckets we use but larger.

I appreciate the postings
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Mds, they make hole saws for stainless steel.
    Which makes life easier
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"