Default New Beekeeper Photo Questions

Hello my name is Mary and I'm a first time beekeeper. I started my hive on 5/19/13 just over 2 weeks ago. I open my hive today and would like to share a few pictures to see if things are looking normal. I did not see my queen today, however I did see her just over 1 week ago when I opened the hive for the first time. Today I have quite a few cells that are protruding and I' not sure if this is normal. I have attached one picture where you can see 2 of the protruding cells very clearly. My first thought is that they are queen cells however I'm not experienced enough to know. All experiences eyes would be appreciated. THANK YOU!!!
    image.jpg. You can see the 2white protruding cells in this photo.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Default Re: New Beekeeper Photo Questions

From what i am seeing they are drones cells drone cells have a dome type capping and the workers cells are flat so you got there is drones nothing to worry about.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas. My bees have filled 8 of my 10 frames. I have added a second brood chamber. I put the new 10 frame chamber on top of my existing chamber. Is this correct or should I have the new chamber under the existing?

I don't see any queen cells there either. looks like drone cells to me. Queen cells look somewhat similar to a peanut. Not, the kind in the jar, but the kind that come in a bag...the whole peanut with shell intact. They are about the same size as the peanut too. when you see one, you will know what it is.

Looks like drones, keep an eye on that queen's pattern, see a lot of drones mixed in for a relatively new hive. Keep an eye on that frame in the first pic, those might be two queencells being started to supercede that queen, I'd probably let them or remove the queen with 2-3 frames of brood in a nuc and let the main hive requeen.

Mary, when placing the 2nd deep on the hive, you did it correctly, placing the new deep "on top" of the existing.

Thank you

I installed two packages on the 18th and don't have that many frames drawn out, your bees are rocking!

Mary: I would suggest that you put some brood frames and if you have some honey filled frame, put one each in the new box.

Thanks, I'll do that this weekend.

Thanks, because our spring has been extremely cold & wet, I have been feeding them, so that helps.

The two cells in the top pic have evidence of recent work - new white wax. Am inclined to agree with JRC13. They are supersedure cells in work. The spotty brood pattern and an occasional drone scattered in the worker brood would be enough reason to replace Old Mama. By now, I would expect to see queen larva and jelly in those two cells, and downward growth of the cells.Let them do it their way.

They have already built a band of capped ?? over the the broodnest. They will be slow to expand into the added top box. To speed up that process, you might consider moving 2 frames from the center of the broodnest straight up into the upper deep. Close up the lower broodnest and add the 2 frames of foundation from the the top box at the outside of the lower box.

In a couple weeks, stay out of the hive in the early afternoon, so as not to be in the way during the mating time of day. AM is OK.

Walt
    Last edited by wcubed; 06-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.

quite a spotty pattern. but it sounds like she may be a very young queen that could improve. The two cells do look like supercedure cells possibly...but they could also just be drone cells...hard to tell just yet.

I am not certain because of the camera angle, but in picture 3 at the top right hand corner I believe I see the long abdomen of the queen.

I would just wait and let them work it all out.

Would like to retract my first comment above. Looking at it again, with more time, think that comment in error. The difference in color (new wax) is just a matter of the longer developement time of the drones. If they were queen cells, the bottom of the cells would be less long to allow for the downward turn. The other drone cells are all extended beyond the face of the worker brood comb.

I know better than to make a snap judgement real time. I found out over the years that my quick judgements often turned out poorly. Developed the habit of closing up a problem hive and sleeping on it overnight. My subconscious is smarter than my conscious.

Walt

Mary
    I live in your area and I have also just added the second deep. I have been doing this for several years, and I would just leave them alone. I spray sugar water solution on each frame in the second deep before I put it on but that is not necessary. We have had some bad weather so things may be somewhat slower until we see more sun.Perhaps in a couple of weeks you may want to take a peek. I am not an expert but I have found bees are remarkable and they know how to survive. The less intervention and smoke the better. When you become expert, as some of the folks on the Forum you can do some micro management. This is a good time to learn and that is what I am doing. It seems you have one hive so your concern is understandable. Where did you purchase your package of bees. If from a local bee club they could assist you.

Thanks for your thoughts. I purchased my bee's in Wisconsin through Dadant Bee Supply Company. I really don't have any one in the area who is a bee keeper, that is why I love this platform for communicating. I have attended a Lake County Bee Keepers Assoc. meeting prior to make my decision to become a beekeeper.

My bees are from the same source. I have a number of hives so I generally just leave them except for a periodic check. I am not an expert so take this for what it is worth. I check the outside of the hive entrances on a hot sunny day and if there is a great deal of activity, such as orientation flights, and many bees entering and leaving, I assume all is well. I have some hives that are extremely active and others that are what I would call average. I have 2 that are below average. My primary concern is that the queen is released and laying and then they are are their own. I realize there are numerous diseases and mites but I do not desire to use any chemicals. I am certain this process does not work for experienced keepers. For your information all hives have 2 deeps and 2 of 8 hives have one super that I have just placed on them. I do not anticipate the remaining hives will require a super for about 2 weeks or longer. If the upper deep is fully covered in bees or has 7-8 frames filled with comb I use a super.By filled with comb I mean wax, brood, honey etc. Not just wax.If you need additional help I can refer you to someone more experienced. I forgot although opinions vary I do not use a queen excluder.