Default Can a hive survive on fondant

If a hive has only a minimal amount of stores would fondant be enough for winter survival ......in Tn.?

Default Re: Can a hive survive on fondant

It's possible, but a very risky situation for them to be in. If the cluster becomes separated from the fondant and then encounters an extended cold snap, they are probably toast.

Over the years I've had a few with very light stores make it through winter with dry sugar overhead. It's not the condition you want your colonies to be in, but it is possible for them to survive.
    To everything there is a season....

Feeding fondant is dependant on weather. If the weather gets too cold fondant isn't your best source of feed but if the days warm then I've had pretty good luck using a 90/10 (sugar to corn syrup) fondant (50lbs from Brushy Creek Bee Supply runs about $98 then you have to add about $15 for shipping). The bees seems to do well and I feed pollen patties along with it. A 5lb block will last, one of my full hives, about a week and a nuc a little longer. I do switch off in later winter to a 2/1 syrup.

The simple answer is yes as long as it is sitting on top of the cluster and they can get to it in cold weather. Around here I would throw on a pollen pattie or two in late Feb. since an all-carb diet isn't very productive for brood.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

In TN? I would think so. Surely until the temperatures are warm enough to feed syrup. In 2009 I was experimenting with two story nucs. Some drew out their foundation only storing a small bit of honey above the cluster. By February, many clusters were located in the top box with nothing to eat. We added wrapped fondant patties and the clusters survived the winter.

As Keth said, the cluster must be at the top of the box and in contact with the fondant. One issue I've found...the fondant dries out. So...wrap with waxed paper, rip a strip of paper off the bottom of the fondant patty, and place that side of patty on the bees.

The fondant does dry out and gets hard as a rock....is it any benefit to them in that condition?

I put a plastic shopping bag over the chunk of fondant to prevent drying. You could weigh the hardened fondant and make syrup with it. I'd take my time...
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 12-20-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

They will still eat it when it gets rock hard. I have kept bees alive for the entire winter with Fondant in North Idaho. I usually put a patty of it between the brood boxes and 1 under the top cover so they can get to it no matter which way the cluster moves!
    I also add some brewers yeast and soy flour to give them a shot of protein as well.
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

I made deep inner covers and pour candy with a handful of pollen substitute into them. It's hard as a rock and they eat it just fine. Seems to soak up quite a bit of moisture, too.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

That's what I am doing this year but using sugar bricks and Dadant Winter Patties. 3 medium boxes with a sugar brick and the patty between 2 and 3rd box with a shim and the other on top of the 3rd box with a shim and the inner cover on top. I am thinking about putting a piece of insulation on top but I am not sure it is needed. Lexington, VA

Have a look at this link.

http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.u...es/Fondant.htm

Some only feed fondant in winter.