Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How does the hive rental process work for almond pollination?

Reputation still has BIG meaning in business. One way to know someones reputation is to ask for references. I dont know if your in a position to ask the grower for references, but asking other beekeepers who has dealt with particular growers will provide you with what you need to know
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

My first year into almonds I had all of my fellow beekeepers scouting around for a grower. They were already In CA and I was thinking that I would probably have to wait for next year.
    Then my cell phone rang. It was a grower that had a beekeeper flake out. He asked when I could have by bees at his ranch.
    I said, "Day after tommorrow!"
    He met me at an intersection and guided me directlly in the orchard and we worked until all hives were placed.
    Then he took me to a travel trailer alongside a barn, pulled out a checkbook and paid the entire pollination amount.
    I was overjoyed! Then he tells me that I am welcome to sleep in the trailer and he got in his car and drove off.
    This year will be the 8th year that I have been with this grower. Every year he clears out a lane in his barn and gives me a key so that I have a place to store my stuff.
    He loans me his Polaris Ranger for the entire time there:

So there are a lot of different stories and strategies surrounding almonds, but for me is the same as all of the rest of my pollination accounts; no brokers, no middleman, no adversarial relationships. I really dread the day that I would lose any of my growers because I treat them right and they treat me right.
    I look forward to almonds every year!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Harry.........I really enjoy reading your positive responses. They are encouraging. And, its great to see the relationships you and your customers have.

I hope to keep in touch with you and let you know how its progressing as I move toward my target of supplying hives for the 2014 almond pollination season.

I'm coming out to CA this coming March to get a close up view of the pollination process.

Jim,

Where is your operation in TX?

In the Jefferson, Tx area
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12