Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Does "Large Cell" Beekeeping work?

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Well, Mark, if you are saying Brian means something other than what he writes, my question is why doesn't he simply do some thinking first, and then write what he really means?
    I believe I understand from whence you come, but, you have expectations which Brian is not living up to. That is where you stray from the path of internal light and peace. You would be a happier person if you gave up your expectations and discontinued thinking you can talk to Brian about this.(sorry Brian) He has his own way of seeing things. Accept it.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I believe I understand from whence you come, but, you have expectations which Brian is not living up to. That is where you stray from the path of internal light and peace. You would be a happier person if you gave up your expectations and discontinued thinking you can talk to Brian about this.(sorry Brian) He has his own way of seeing things. Accept it.
    Hmm, you think I would be a "happier person" if I gave up my expectation that the words that Beesource members post here have some real relationship to what they actually think?

How can an reasonable discussion occur if the words used have no common meaning? Or do we make a special exception to reality just for Acebird, and assume everything he posts is nonsense?

P.S. And, Mark, I do promise not to ask Ace any more questions about Machine Tool Technology.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-23-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: add P.S.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Or do we make a special exception to reality just for Acebird, and assume everything he posts is nonsense?
    Pretty much.

Well, I have serious doubts that Brian is really as dysfunctional as the picture painted by Mark above. And this post will deliberately have no annoying quotes, and no animated emoticons.

Ace, lets make a deal. For your part, you will take an extra moment to review and think twice about what you are writing before you click the Post Reply button. And in return, I will hold back from dredging up conflicting/embarrassing past comments that you may have made.

Its not necessary for you to respond here for us to proceed with this arrangement, just simply avoid posting more "Aceisms", as Barry described them.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I will hold back from dredging up conflicting/embarrassing past comments that you may have made.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Well, I have serious doubts that Brian is really as dysfunctional as the picture painted by Mark above. And this post will deliberately have no annoying quotes, and no animated emoticons.

Ace, lets make a deal. For your part, you will take an extra moment to review and think twice about what you are writing before you click the Post Reply button. And in return, I will hold back from dredging up conflicting/embarrassing past comments that you may have made.

Its not necessary for you to respond here for us to proceed with this arrangement, just simply avoid posting more "Aceisms", as Barry described them.
    I think you are making too much of this.

I've found a very simple way of not being irritated by acist comments:

I block them.

I've found beesource a much more pleasant place, since I began using the blocking feature to avoid the comments of the few people whose comments I found to be irritating or abrasive

I found second hand Silicone press for sale. I would like to make my own foundation. The seller told me it has few air bubbles!!! Will that be a problem for my bees? Thanks in advance

No.
    Yer welcome.

Well... I'm not convinced that LARGE CELL beekeeping has any advantages over small cell.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

we don't know for sure.

i 'm guessing small cell might give some advantage, but it's not the only factor among many others all of which added together determine the final outcome.

many have found ways to successful off treatments with standard cell, and some have found small cell does not guarentee success off treatments.

i'll consider it if all else fails, which so far, it hasn't.

mine continue to do well on the rite cell, but i did add a few foundationless frames this year and got some nice natural cell drawn. i'm also considering going to 11 frames in the brood chamber.

My bees did okay on "large cell". It seems to me it works, inasmuch as bees will draw it, store stuff in it, raise brood in it, and all that. Occasionally they die in it - I had a few winter chills or starve-outs over the years.

I've heard similar things about small cell.

One thing I have not heard too much about is the in-between cell; since it seems mostly to serve as a temporary stepping stone when training bees who are accustomed to the larger stuff to start using small cell, I don't think many people have done studies (formal or otherwise) about how this in-between stuff actually works as a full-time comb size in its own right. I'm a little curious about it, actually.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

the natural cells drawn on the foundationless frames are all different sizes, with the smallest (4.9 or so) just in the very middle of the broodnest.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i like michael bush's tag line:

"everything works it you let it"
    What does this mean? To me, it sounds like it means we should only harvest honey from wild hives in Europe . . . ? Obviously, that's not what we're about here, so my question - what does it mean?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    What does this mean?
    Its a Cheap Trick!

everything works if you let it

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-12-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo

hopefully mb will give his own interpretation to you shinbone.

it's been a while since i made that post, but i think what was going through my head at the time was that it appears that folks are generally being successful with bees while using a wide variety of methods. roland made a good comment recently that the bees will eventually adapt to the beekeeper. my opinion is that bees are pretty good at adapting to a variety of situations, and i have learned that they seem to do better if i stay out of their way as much as possible. that said i am keeping bees for a purpose and don't feel guilty about intervening as needed, but i'm sure i was guilty of messing around with them too much in the beginning. the learning curve for me involved avoiding not setting them back any more than necessary by my intervention.

>>"everything works it you let it"
    >What does this mean?

The Tao is the flow of the universe. Everything in the universe has a flow to it. Fighting that is a lot of work and seldom very effective. Getting into the flow is usually much more effective. "The master accomplishes more and more by doing less and less until finally he accomplishes everything by doing nothing"--Laozi, Tao Te Ching.

Or Brother Adam's slightly different angle:
    "Perfection in beekeeping is not found in a multiplicity of appliances, but in simplicity and the elimination of everything not absolutely essential" --Brother Adam

In the context of natural cell size, if you let the bees build what they want and need they will take care of things. If you trick them into building something you think they want and need things often go badly.

"Everything works if you let it" --Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick (from the song and from a sign on a fix-it shop in the movie "Roadie")
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ancient Chinese masters. Beekeeping monks. '70's rock.

I've got so much to learn.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast