Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Took the plunge

Default Re: Took the plunge

Jim, Does the 1k ride smoother than the turbo? Maybe most guys haven't tried this but I wanted to know if the 1k could spin the tires when pushing against a tree or something? Will it stall or keep spinning? It really helps to have a well powered machine for those times you get your big trucks stuck!!! The hummerbee is more powerful than what you think but will still stall.

I talked to A & O about the lack of power on the XRT and they didn't seem to know anything but said they'd look into it...

I will have to defer to Keith or someone else with some more actual field experience than I have had on the power issue. I think probably it does have more power but can't say I have tried to pull something heavy (you are right the Hummers will stall out under a severe load) or done the wheel spin test. The none Turbo Cummins is a bit quieter and does seem to have more low RPM torque. I think the ride is pretty similar to the Hummer but again not much field experience to make a good assessment.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJames View Post
    It really helps to have a well powered machine for those times you get your big trucks stuck!!! ...
    Josh your a fast eater, what you want to use when stuck is a tuggem strap, the most important part is buy the right weight strap for your needs. The last thing you want to use is a cain with the other machine spinning it's tires, very hard on the final drives.

The 1K has enough speed & weight for the tuggem strap to work properly.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by beebze View Post
    I bought a new Swinger instead of a hummer bee. I read lots of posts on the subject. I guess if I don't like it I have Keith J to blame. lol I sold my 04 swinger to a local blueberry grower. I will have 1 swinger and 1 hummer turbo. Hopefully will get it early January.
    Are the swingers any cheaper than the hummerbees ? I live in nova scotia and i am looking for something that i can pull double duty with (plow snow,move bees) i have nothing right now and i hear good things about the swinger , but i don't think there are any in the province to look at. There is however a commercial beekeeper who has hummerbees , i haven't contacted him yet to see if i could look at them or not, but i don't know if a bucket would go on the hummerbee ?
    I spoke to A&O and they tell me they sell them to our province and one particular guy stood out , that's why he knew .

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Josh your a fast eater, what you want to use when stuck is a tuggem strap, the most important part is buy the right weight strap for your needs. The last thing you want to use is a cain with the other machine spinning it's tires, very hard on the final drives.

The 1K has enough speed & weight for the tuggem strap to work properly.
    Yeah that's what we've been doing. The problem is the hummerbee will stall out even in low range so I was really curious just how much more power the 1k has over the turbo. Will the 1k actually spin it's tires or will it stall? We wanted to try this out on the 1k we looked at but the bee keeper gave us the feeling that he really didn't want us to be too hard on his baby

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Does it look like hummerbee is all about quantity instead of quality?

Not necessarily. We've had a really good experience with A & O. Our turbo has a 1,000 hours of HARD abuse and has held up in every respect except for the articulation joints. We use the clamp and frequently when moving bee's, move three stacks of deep and double medium hives and so the extra weight really wears those joints. We are trying a new joint and it has held up so far but it hasn't been long enough to see how long it will hold up for.

But practically speaking, if there is another machine that is beefier than the turbo in the same price range and doesn't have the bugs(that I've heard of) then I would want the 1k. That's why we were holding out for the XRT but that has seemed to be a disappointment. And I'm a little baffled that A & O didn't test this thing out better before releasing it. This was a great opportunity to surpass the 1k but it seems(in my opinion) they weren't able to do it. At least for now...

Keith...Dont worry aboyt the crow..josh makes some aweskme turtle soup...top secret family receipt! lol
    I was there when Josh was test driving the new hummer. To say it stalled would be a compliment! I thought they had powered it with a swinger! (not forklift but sewing machine motor) It really boggs down WITHOUT a load. I was really disappointed. i had decided to buy a hummer in the near future and was sold on it IF the middle joint they gave Josh/Joe held up...but now no way..Swinger is way beyond the new hummer. Plus the joint is a world better. In spite of Josh getting his drivers lisc at a blue light special at Kmart he has managed to become a good fotklift driver(if i remember correctly one of the two turned.over the old swinger the same guy owned so maybe he boobie traped it so they wouldnt flip it! lol Boy are they going to get me for all this! Ive let the cat out of the bag. Weve played some good pranks on each other but I think Im ahead now Oh and these two guys bought a new hummer a couple years back...drove to get diesel and didnt latch the hitch...drug it there with safety chains! Now Im in big trouble! Off to bed to bed to think how they are going to get even.

Well it came in, went down to take a look at it. First impression Bulky. I love the seat though. I need to add-change things though. The foot peddle for forward and backward is a little awkward. It needs to be bent up. I'm surprised in some of the Material they used. (pitted sheet metal) Takes a while for sheet metal to become pitted, I wouldn't of used it, not on a new machine.

I'll probably change the lights also. I like the way my hummer lights are. It has pretty high clearance, I noticed.

It seemed not to bog down when stomping on the accelerator in high speed.

It drives nice. Really looking forward in using it.

"Sometimes at night I just go out and sit on it and make motor noises kind of like when I played in the sandbox as a kid". Quote from a famous mid-west beek
    putt, putt, putt! Andy, enjoy your new machine!

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    Keith...Dont worry aboyt the crow..josh makes some aweskme turtle soup...top secret family receipt! lol
    I was there when Josh was test driving the new hummer. To say it stalled would be a compliment! I thought they had powered it with a swinger! (not forklift but sewing machine motor) It really boggs down WITHOUT a load. I was really disappointed. i had decided to buy a hummer in the near future and was sold on it IF the middle joint they gave Josh/Joe held up...but now no way..Swinger is way beyond the new hummer. Plus the joint is a world better. In spite of Josh getting his drivers lisc at a blue light special at Kmart he has managed to become a good fotklift driver(if i remember correctly one of the two turned.over the old swinger the same guy owned so maybe he boobie traped it so they wouldnt flip it! lol Boy are they going to get me for all this! Ive let the cat out of the bag. Weve played some good pranks on each other but I think Im ahead now Oh and these two guys bought a new hummer a couple years back...drove to get diesel and didnt latch the hitch...drug it there with safety chains! Now Im in big trouble! Off to bed to bed to think how they are going to get even.
    As I remember it you weren't even man enough to try any turtle soup!!! You were so excited though to go catch some turtles to make your own turtle soup you went to the extreme and dumped a couple pallets of yours in a deep ditch filled with water for bait LOL!!!(Or was that just bad driving?!?!)

And remember just how far off the seat you jumped(and your wallet flying though the air) when you thought you were being robbed at the taco bell pick-up window? Hahahaha I will never forget your reaction on THAT episode!

And I'm sure I can think of many more...

oh boy gotta get my thinker in gear they got even...lol

You guys are High Larious.

I'm surprised in some of the Material they used. (pitted sheet metal) Takes a while for sheet metal to become pitted, I wouldn't of used it, not on a new machine.
    Can you expand on this issue, Andy? thanks

Keith when I was going over it with a friend at his fab shop. He noticed that the sheet metal or steel plating that is directly behind the seat that's runs down was pitted. I wouldn't of notice or even think to look because of it being a New machine. Even though it's painted grey it pitted quite a lot.

The fuse for the front lights blew when they ran it after it was unloaded. The rear light works. 1 more problem we have to figure out. I hope that maybe the truck ride here mite of pinched a wire. Hopefully it's a quick fix. When I get the machine back from them I will try to take some pics to show you if you want. It will be a while, I have a quick trip to California to balance and feed some bees.

I still excited about the swinger 1k

I finally got the time to call Mark at Swinger. He said the pitting in the metal is due to carbon burn off when they roll out the sheets. During the making process.

I really like the forklift. Its fast. Still getting used to the levers. Need to change the lights on it too. I need more. need some in front by my feet. I don't use it for my main forklift but when I get the bugs worked out on it. Mite use it more then.

Bottom line I would recommend this forklift. I Really like it.

Bottom line I would recommend this forklift. I Really like it.
    Nice to hear Andy.

Yeah know Andy one thing I find now is when I jump on my old machine or someone else's machine I think wow what a peice of junk this is, you just don't realize how smooth the 1K is until your on something else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12