Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the plunge

Default Took the plunge

I bought a new Swinger instead of a hummer bee. I read lots of posts on the subject. I guess if I don't like it I have Keith J to blame. lol I sold my 04 swinger to a local blueberry grower. I will have 1 swinger and 1 hummer turbo. Hopefully will get it early January.

Default Re: Took the plunge

Congratulations ,you made the right choice! I love my 1K!!!
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

WOW!
    All of those rolled comb candles that you made from plastic foundation really ARE paying off!
    Atta Boy bebze!!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Good for you. I am still trying to find the cash to make the same mistake you did. (not really a mistake). Please PM me with your thoughts. It is in my January plan need the new year for tax reasons.

As long as you stay away from that XRT , I hear one showed up in Texas at a dealer or meeting and had all kinds of problems. Maybe someone that was there can enlighten us.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Just got one a few weeks ago and I love it....well at least in the ten minutes I drove it and it sure looks good sitting in the building. Sometimes at night I just go out and sit on it and make motor noises kind of like when I played in the sandbox as a kid.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

But Jim, it's okay, you can actually turn it on and let the motor make the sound now!
    Regards, Barry

That's all too funny Jim, my first forklift was a swinger (04) I have to admit that I too sat on it in my shed but I didn't make the motor noises. I'm excited to see if I will like it more then my hummer. I a bigger bone person () the extra leg room will be real nice.

Looks like maybe it will be coming a little after the first of the year. Going to get a paint job first thing. Orange and Black. Go Beavers!!!! Then at same time, going to get a trailer for it. $$ I'm thankful the almond pollination is around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by beebze View Post
    Looks like maybe it will be coming a little after the first of the year. Going to get a paint job first thing. Orange and Black. Go Beavers!!!!
    You better like it, resale might be difficult with that color scheme. No good duck fan is gonna take that sucker off your hands.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Funny cause i do the same thing (go into the shed and just look at it) except mine are redone bobcat 610's. the reason i look at them with so much pleasure is because i made them myself. And once again i will say that they leave those mini front end loaders in the dust in every beekeeping duty i know of.

But if i won the lottery i would have one of everything. ha ha merry christmas ya beekeeping maniacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    As long as you stay away from that XRT , I hear one showed up in Texas at a dealer or meeting and had all kinds of problems. Maybe someone that was there can enlighten us.

I wasn't there but what you heard IS correct. I've got a friend that just got one and I've gotten to try it out and it was NOT what I was expecting so now I'm back to wanting a 1k again hahaha! The spec sheet really impressed me in the beginning but after trying it out I think it will not hold up against the 1k.

It really is underpowered. When you put in in hi rev and then stomp on the accelerator it takes off and then bogs waaaaay down for a looooong time before it finally and slooowly reaches top speed. Once there it didn't seem to bog so much though going through rough terrain(which is does ride nicer than the 1k and turbo).

The joystick is really nice for the lift and tilt functions but the button for the side shift turns on/off instantly and at a set speed. Unusable, at least for me.

Also, when this machine was bought my friend went to fill it up for the first time and fuel sprayed back at him(they didn't have a vent). They did fix it.

My gut feeling is that they haven't really field tested it and who knows how it will hold up.

I'd appreciate any feedback on those who had a hummerbee turbo and then got a 1k. What are the pros/cons? How does the 1k compare to the turbo?

Josh, I'll get the crow stew going for you.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Josh, I'll get the crow stew going for you.
    Aww shucks... But only after you have a slice of humble pie

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJames View Post
    Aww shucks... But only after you have a slice of humble pie
    Pretty sure Keith just eats NutraBee

You guys are making me want to take the plunge as well. I guess i will just have to live with the 100...

Does it look like hummerbee is all about quantity instead of quality?

But only after you have a slice of humble pie
    lol...your humor is outstanding! Josh, great come back. need lots of this when you run bees.

And not leave out Jimmy, the gifts that keeps giving.lol Hey Jimmy, you probably needing some more write offs this spring me thinks you need another 1K.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I'm still waiting to get my 1k. I thought I would have it by now. I was really counting to have it when I loaded to come south. That's been a week and half ago. Swinger I thought was suppose to have it to me by end of January. Time goes on, patience is a virtue.

Josh whenever I get my 1k I'll let you know the pro's and con's.

My gut feeling is that they haven't really field tested it and who knows how it will hold up.

I'd appreciate any feedback on those who had a hummerbee turbo and then got a 1k. What are the pros/cons? How does the 1k compare to the turbo?
    You may well be right on the field test aspect. I think a lot of the folks at A&O. I have a combined 1,000 hours on our Turbos and they do everything we ask of them including lifting a 275 gallon tote of syrup though that is really more than you should probably lift with them. We regularly grease the joints and as yet haven't had any issues with them. The XRT is clearly beefed up their articulating joints and made some other nice upgrades. My guess is that if there are a few issues with the XRT the company will most likely make the necessary changes but your analysis of the engine response is a bit troubling. I wish both companies well as competition is a good thing. I do have a new 1K but haven't done much with it yet. The construction is outstanding. The lift capacity seems quite a bit higher than the Turbo (especially with the stock bumper) While its not designed to access from either side it is really not hard at all to slide in on the counsel side as well. My only minor critique is that the seat could be upgraded a bit and the seating position is a bit tight for a taller person. Nit picky to be sure but you have to look pretty hard to find fault with the 1K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast