Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is a swarm catcher a good christmas gift?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  linn 
#1 · (Edited)
I used to have a swarm catcher. I never used it but I like the design and concept. Well, I let someone borrow it ...., and the rest is history. Some day I will buy another one. Anyways I just ordered one for a beekeeping couple I know. One thing I like about the swarm catcher is that it is light-weight and the bottom is attached to the nuc body. I figure you can still use it as a nuc. It seems to make sense to have one on hand-just in case. Eventually the need will arise.

#3 ·
Not sure what you are calling a swarm catcher? Is it the swarm harvester that Walter T Kelly sells? Is it the same size as a nuc box? If so either one would be a great Christmas gift. A nuc box is always nice to have around. If you are talking about the brown swarm traps that look like an over grown flower pot. I don't like those. Once you catch a swarm in one you have to do a cut out just to move them into a regular hive. And the brand new wax inside is soft and hard to rubber band into a frame.

I made my own nuc boxes so all of my bottoms are attached to the nuc box. They work great!

#4 · (Edited)
It is the swarm harvester from Walter T Kelly. I first got one because there were quite a few hollow trees around. Those have been cut down. At one point I used three gallon hive top feeders. I have since downsized to mason jars. So, maybe the odds are not what they once were. I think it makes sense to have one. Yes, I really liked mine-even though I never got a chance to use it.

I agree with you about those pressed flower pots. The only thing I caught in a flower pot swarm catcher was some nest building rodent. It was gone by the time I took took the flower pot down. The flower pot was at least 8 feet off the ground.

#6 ·
I got one last summer, the harvester designed by Cleo Hogan Jr. I have used it on a tree and a cinder block wall, and it works great. It's got several uses and so worth the investment. I liked that I didn't have to assemble anything, all ready to go. Yes it would make an excellent gift.

#12 ·
> 38"X24"X38"

i feel that is too big for a swarm catcher, especially the top measurement, and the bottom a bit hefty also for my tastes. You might be better off with 16.25"X 9.75" X 19.9" or somewhere in that range. I have had one for 27 years similar size to yours but smaller measurements, that hasn't helped catch a swarm that whole time.

#13 · (Edited)
Dear Mr. Frank,
I think the swarm harvester is much too nice to put out in a tree as a swarm trap
I did make swarm traps from the free nuc plans on beesource. Those nuc swarm traps are much smaller, like what you mention. Still, the bees seem to prefer the boughs of trees. I always end up using the manual swarm retrieval method-ladders. Still, I think a swarm harvester is a good thing to have. Eventually, there will be a bee tree. What are the odds? I wish you a Merry Christmas. linn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.