Default Is a swarm catcher a good christmas gift?

I used to have a swarm catcher. I never used it but I like the design and concept. Well, I let someone borrow it ...., and the rest is history. Some day I will buy another one. Anyways I just ordered one for a beekeeping couple I know. One thing I like about the swarm catcher is that it is light-weight and the bottom is attached to the nuc body. I figure you can still use it as a nuc. It seems to make sense to have one on hand-just in case. Eventually the need will arise.
    Last edited by linn; 12-13-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Is a swarm catcher a good christmas gift?

I definitely wouldn't complain if I got one for Christmas!

Not sure what you are calling a swarm catcher? Is it the swarm harvester that Walter T Kelly sells? Is it the same size as a nuc box? If so either one would be a great Christmas gift. A nuc box is always nice to have around. If you are talking about the brown swarm traps that look like an over grown flower pot. I don't like those. Once you catch a swarm in one you have to do a cut out just to move them into a regular hive. And the brand new wax inside is soft and hard to rubber band into a frame.

I made my own nuc boxes so all of my bottoms are attached to the nuc box. They work great!

It is the swarm harvester from Walter T Kelly. I first got one because there were quite a few hollow trees around. Those have been cut down. At one point I used three gallon hive top feeders. I have since downsized to mason jars. So, maybe the odds are not what they once were. I think it makes sense to have one. Yes, I really liked mine-even though I never got a chance to use it.

I agree with you about those pressed flower pots. The only thing I caught in a flower pot swarm catcher was some nest building rodent. It was gone by the time I took took the flower pot down. The flower pot was at least 8 feet off the ground.
    Last edited by linn; 12-13-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Wish I was on you're x-mas list.
    Dan

I got one last summer, the harvester designed by Cleo Hogan Jr. I have used it on a tree and a cinder block wall, and it works great. It's got several uses and so worth the investment. I liked that I didn't have to assemble anything, all ready to go. Yes it would make an excellent gift.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

You know it would be a great Christmas Gift, where do I need to submit my mailing address?

All I know is that if it is on your list. You may be a beekeeper.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by G'ville beek View Post
    You know it would be a great Christmas Gift, where do I need to submit my mailing address?
    I will send my address if you are looking for orphans to send Christmas presents to.

Well, here's the thing; if you are on my Christmas list you may be on my swarm catching list.
    Last edited by linn; 12-15-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: grammer

I would like to have a swarm catcher. Nice looking female approximately 38"X24"X38". Hey, I'm joking, I've had one old gal for 53 years, but it did sound like the swarm catcher could be a person.

> 38"X24"X38"

i feel that is too big for a swarm catcher, especially the top measurement, and the bottom a bit hefty also for my tastes. You might be better off with 16.25"X 9.75" X 19.9" or somewhere in that range. I have had one for 27 years similar size to yours but smaller measurements, that hasn't helped catch a swarm that whole time.

Dear Mr. Frank,
    I think the swarm harvester is much too nice to put out in a tree as a swarm trap
    I did make swarm traps from the free nuc plans on beesource. Those nuc swarm traps are much smaller, like what you mention. Still, the bees seem to prefer the boughs of trees. I always end up using the manual swarm retrieval method-ladders. Still, I think a swarm harvester is a good thing to have. Eventually, there will be a bee tree. What are the odds? I wish you a Merry Christmas. linn
    Last edited by linn; 12-19-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: grammer

Well, I bought the swarm harvester and it arrived at my friend's house a few days ago. My friend called. Anyway, they will be very surprised on Christmas day. Merry Christmas everybody. linn