Hybrid View

Default queen breeding in screened enclosure

Has anyone ever tried to breed virgin queens in an enclosed area with a large number of drones? I see online that someone has a patent for a small containment chamber and a queen holder that allows her to hang in a secured fashion. Just wondering if this has ever worked.

Default Re: queen breeding in screened enclosure

Gregor Mendel among others have tried to mate queens in an enclosure and all attempts failed.

Mating is reported to take place 50-100ft in the air on the wing.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I have sen a video of a queen mating. it involved tethering the queen so she could only fly so far and a camera on a swivel so it followed her as she flew in a circle. How many queens they went through to get the shot or how many attempts it took I have no idea. I don't for a second think it is a method that could be used for queen breeding or rearing.

I have seen comments in other sources that says no attempt at inclosed breeding has been successful.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

I read about this method 40 years ago, it's not a new idea. If it worked, people would be doing it.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

About 15 yr ago Southwest research in San Antonio did a test using a netted enclosure about 30 ft high and maybe 50x75 ft .The breeder nucs were set inside around the edge.I cant remember sucess rate but I belive some got bred.I cant rember the details but I think this was done for the Weavers.Maybe if Danny reads this he can fill in some about it.