Hybrid View

Default queen breeding in screened enclosure

Has anyone ever tried to breed virgin queens in an enclosed area with a large number of drones? I see online that someone has a patent for a small containment chamber and a queen holder that allows her to hang in a secured fashion. Just wondering if this has ever worked.

Default Re: queen breeding in screened enclosure

Gregor Mendel among others have tried to mate queens in an enclosure and all attempts failed.

Mating is reported to take place 50-100ft in the air on the wing.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I have sen a video of a queen mating. it involved tethering the queen so she could only fly so far and a camera on a swivel so it followed her as she flew in a circle. How many queens they went through to get the shot or how many attempts it took I have no idea. I don't for a second think it is a method that could be used for queen breeding or rearing.

I have seen comments in other sources that says no attempt at inclosed breeding has been successful.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I read about this method 40 years ago, it's not a new idea. If it worked, people would be doing it.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

About 15 yr ago Southwest research in San Antonio did a test using a netted enclosure about 30 ft high and maybe 50x75 ft .The breeder nucs were set inside around the edge.I cant remember sucess rate but I belive some got bred.I cant rember the details but I think this was done for the Weavers.Maybe if Danny reads this he can fill in some about it.