Default Artificial Heater for Bees

I ran power to the back of my yard so my chicken waterer doesn't freeze during the winter. I also have a light bulb that comes on in the chicken coop during the days all winter long. It wouldn't be that much trouble to run an extension cord to my beehive and put a light bulb under the screened bottom board of my one and only hive. I know this concept won't be quite as feasible next year when I increase my hives to 4... and even less feasible the year after when my hive count will most likely increase yet again. I'm just wondering if there is an obvious problem that I'm not aware of or that I might be missing. My hive sits on two cinder blocks with no foliage within several feet of the hive.

If a light bulb is a problem, it could always be a heating pad or something. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the trouble.
    If God doesn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
    Zone 5b - Utah - Elevation 4,300 ft

Default Re: Artificial Heater for Bees

If you do set this up to heat the hive, you should incorporate a thermostat in some manner. If you get the hive too warm in winter, bee activity will increase, and their food consumption will also increase. It would be a real shame to go to this effort, and then have them starve before spring due to increased activity!

From reading posts by Ian, who winters bees indoors in Manitoba, the target temperature in his operation is 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm in Tennessee, not Utah, but in my opinion if you get the hive set up properly from a condensation/ventilation point point of view, there is no need to heat your hive in cold weather.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

For a full size hive I don't think it's necessary. For a small nuc it can make a difference on bitter cold nights. A terrarium heater is the best.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Two years ago I put a thermostat (on at 30 off at 40) and an under tank heater in an empty box above the inner cover on two small hives, they came out of winter very strong.

anyone try attaching this to a solar power source? i wonder if it would work to warm hive some during day dissipate during night then repeat.

But, if you warm a hive and activity increases, they will be more likely to fly out into the cold and try to purge themselves. Then they die.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    But, if you warm a hive and activity increases, they will be more likely to fly out into the cold and try to purge themselves. Then they die.
    Thats why you need a thermostat. Keep the temperature it heats to below where they would try to break cluster, like 40 degrees. Help them take the edge off without making them think spring has sprung.

Could be worth a shot.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

I was looking at something like this with a solar panel from harbor freight. i wonder with the winter sun being low in the sky and strength in se pa. how much heat it will generate? its such an unknown i guess you should have a thermostat.

Waterproof 12V Hive Electric Heater Save Honey Beekeeper Bee keeping Equipment
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterpro...

Waterproof 12V Hive Electric Heater Save Honey Beekeeper Bee keeping Equipment in Business & Industrial, Agriculture & Forestry, Livestock Supplies | eBay

What is 40f in Celsius for us canadians and do you get a heater with a built in thermostat or how does that work? I'm a newb...this is very intriguing

Don't bother. Bees have been keeping themselves warm for millions of years.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarber View Post
    What is 40f in Celsius for us canadians and do you get a heater with a built in thermostat or how does that work? I'm a newb...this is very intriguing
    Roughly 4.5C.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarber View Post
    Use Google and enter "f to c calculator"
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!