Thread: BT not working

Default BT not working

I used BT on all of my swarm trap frames. Most are fine but a few got totally infested with wax moths.
    I mixed it on the strong side. There was some pollen on atleast one of the frames.

Any one else have this problem?

Default Re: BT not working

I've never had any problems with BT treated frames. Works like a charm.
    To everything there is a season....

Yes, I had the same problem using BT on frames of pollen.I sprayed the frames several times with no luck.I guess i'll use them for swarm traps or trash them.

Was the BT stored properly (according to directions)? If not, it's not effective......don't ask me how I know....
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

BT has also worked for me. I just keep it in an inside cabinet. Only used it on empty frames.

How is it suppose to be stored, I forgot to read the directions?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Be sure it is the correct strain of Bt, Bt 'Aizawai'. Other strains won't be as effective against the wax moth larvae, and some are known to be harmful to bee larvae.

I believe the powder is best stored in a dry place, out of sunlight - so says the PDF that comes with the product. I would also think that cooler would be even better.

I too use it on empty, idle, combs. I'd be afraid that combs of pollen might hide small wax moth larvae, that might be larger than the kill threshold of the Bt could handle.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

It needs to be used immediately after mixing. You can't save any left over mix and use it later. Not sure if that might be an issue.

The BT was newly purchased from Sundance "Aizawai". freshly mixed and applied.
    Both swarm traps were in full shade. And both could have had some pollen. BT was always kept at room temp. Frames were frozen before applied. Out of 30+ traps I can only remember 2 that had them and they were completely infested no wax left. If was Aug or Sept when they were infested.

Next year I will pull my traps in Aug, I did not catch any swarms after that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Was the BT stored properly (according to directions)? If not, it's not effective......don't ask me how I know....
    If heat makes it less effective would it also make it less effective if it’s already been applied to comb left in a box in the summer heat/cold/humid?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Bees View Post
    Yes, I had the same problem using BT on frames of pollen. I sprayed the frames several times with no luck. I guess i'll use them for swarm traps or trash them.
    Did you also freeze each time?
    Maybe it’s the pollen. Do the larva tunnel before the feed? Might provide an area where the larva can feed where the spray can’t get to.

No the frames had not been frozen, I was thinking that the wax moths larva may have some protection under the pollen also!

I suspect you should treat empty frames, as the larvae must ingest the spores to be killed by BT. If they don't eat one and get into the pollen, they will be too large for the spores to kill them effectively when they encounter them later, and BT will have little or no effect.

Some wax moths are also resistant, I believe.

Peter

Are you SURE it was a wax moth infestation? Once I used BT (that was stored correctly) I never had a problem on frames that had or did not have some pollen in them. Altho an initial treatment should last for a couple of years, just for the "hey" of it, each year right after I pull them from the extractor and before placing them back in the super, I spray them liberally with BT.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

How are supers supposed to be stored after being sprayed with bt? Closed up or left open?

Quote Originally Posted by paintingpreacher View Post
    How are supers supposed to be stored after being sprayed with bt? Closed up or left open?
    Air dry, not in the strong or direct sunlight. Use a fan to move some air around and they will be fine.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I think Peter hit the nail on the head. A pollen filled frame will keep the Bt spores near the surface. If a wax moth larvae gets into the pollen it won't eat any Bt spores until it is larger and after the damage has been done.

It takes a little time for the Bt spores to germinate and for the bacteria to grow enough to produce enough toxin to kill the larvae. If the larvae is larger when it ingests the Bt spores it may be too late to stop the damage. It should prevent the larvae from continuing to grow. But, that is little consolation after a frame has been wrecked.

Tom

Who has BT, Does it go by a different name

Thanks Mike