Thread: Drawing comb

Default Drawing comb

Watching the huge small cell snit, I thought I would partition the fight and talk about drawing comb. It seems to be a mystery to many what it's causes and promotions are. It is a given that Apis Mellifera-xxx builds a wide variety of comb sizes, but we are not going to talk about that! Lets talk about the various conditions and coersions we apply to our colonies to get them to draw comb we want in our boxes. My basic beliefs are as follows:
    1. Bees draw comb only when they need it, not when you want it drawn.

2. Comb is only drawn when they have an income. I don't care if it is their natural labor or welfare from the beekeeper.

3. Bees produce cells for a purpose and build worker size cells best when they do not need drones. When they need drones, they will build the cells come hell or high water somewhere.

Any comments?

Default Re: Drawing comb

Agreed, bees do then they need to do and when they need to do it.

I find by opening the broodnest pre and during swarm season with a foundationless frame in the center of the brood nest.....they will mostly draw an entire frame of drones.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Default Re: Drawing comb

Exactly right and in the early spring or lst brood cycle will be worker cells. Due to disease problems I shook bees on to foundation in August and September and 15 colonies drew no drone comb. they knew what they needed it and built it.