Default Nucs on the ground or up on top.

All of my 2 story nucs are on stands out of the snow - we had 16 inches dumped on us a couple of days ago. However, I have 2 colonies in 5 frames; They are colonies in rehab, they were dwindling due to mites, and I reduced them to 5 frame nucs and left them on their original stands.
    We have a cold spell coming up and I wonder if they are better off left on the ground or lifted up and put on top of other colonies. They are not buried, but there is a bank of snow around them. I see from the vimeos that MP used to lift some nucs up on top. What is the current prevailing wisdom?
    In case the question comes up, I put them in the nucs because I am curious to see if the dwindled colonies recover now that they are in cavities proportional to their cluster size.

Default Re: Nucs on the ground or up on top.

I think I would leave them where they are. This is an experiment, right? And you said you have too many bees anyway...my fault, right?

So why not allow the experiment to run its course?

Good idea thanks. I'll leave them where they are as it is an experiment. I have trouble thinning carrots, so thinning bees is harder still. If they survive my hypothesis will be that it will because they were moved to quarters that were more in proportion to the size of the family; A single mom with a small family in a rambler versus the McMansion of a double deep. We have had a short testing spell of zero degree F weather. Tomorrow morning I'll go and look around the yard for the frozen bee breath at the upper entrances. I emailed my former bee supplier yesterday, and he'll buy bees again in the spring - I like this relationship better now. Of course winter is only just beginning... many a slip between cup and lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    ... many a slip between cup and lip.
    Good one

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    ...I'll leave them where they are as it is an experiment..
    I had an impression that snow is good thermoinsulator, so it should protect from cold colder than snow-cold.
    Last edited by cerezha; 12-13-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: snow
    Серёжа, Sergey

I am hoping for snow to cover my nucs right up to the top entrance. So far we have had a quiet fall. I think your pics look fine. My two story nucs are sitting on concrete blocks.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Snug is a bug in a rug for me. As long as they have a vent hole, they will be fine.

Been monitoring temp at top of my hives using a probe and sensor and inside center at top is 30F warmer than outside. That is with 2 inch styrofoam on three sides and 1/2 on front and 2 inch top&bottom.

Placing NUCs on top of a strong hive and adding insulation will add considerable warming, if you are concerned about cold.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Thanks guys. Mgolden thanks, I think I am going to leave them as is. Temps are moderating, and there have been some cleansing flights as evidenced by golden poop in the snow.